You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curves Alpha not working when child layer

• New image. New pixel layer. Soft brush. Blob.
  • Curves layer above image layer. RGB. Select Alpha. Adjust curve. Works just fine.
  • Drag curves to child layer position (mask or clipping). Doesn't work.

Standard RGB curves work fine above and as child positions.

I tried it also with Channel Mixer and this also only works for alpha adjustment in the in-line position.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Confirm, same issue on iPad

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @dmstraker, @NotMyFault,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. We've been quite busy lately due to the amount of new posts/support tickets generated by the latest releases and the 90 day free trial offer/discounts.
The Channel Mixer adjustment seems to be working fine for me when set to alpha in all positions. Can you record a clip please? Maybe I'm missing something...
Curves and Levels are not working. I've logged this to be looked at. Thanks for reporting it.

Here you go @MEB

same issue when you group both layers instead of nesting

same issue with levels adjustment & alpha channel

samle issue with chanel mixer (select alpha channel, set blue participation to 100%

In all tested cases, every adjustment layer stops working when nested or put into a group:

• Windows 10,
  • OpenCL active
  • OpenCL inactive
  • WARP driver
  • Photo 1.9.1.979
  • Beta 1.9.2.1005

curves alpha not working 1.9.1.afphoto curves alpha not working 1.9.1.zip

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

If you use a vector shape, or artistic text, the filters work as expected.

The issue is happening in case of:

• pixel layer,
  • image layer
  • procedural text filter (checkeread board and A=0.5)
  • fill layer

Odd in that if I change the Blend mode for the Alpha Channel on the Curves layer something is happening when the Curves Layer is in the child place.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 6:02 PM, Old Bruce said:

Odd in that if I change the Blend mode for the Alpha Channel on the Curves layer something is happening when the Curves Layer is in the child place.

This is totally unrelated to the bug reported. It is expected behavior that any empty layer with certain blend modes (like multiply) will show a visible change based on the blend formula.

The bug is still unfixed in 1.9.2.1035.

• 3 months later...

Still not addressed 4 month later raised in March for 1.9.1, unsolved in Beta 1.10.1104.

This is a major issue.

All alpha-channel affecting adjustment & filter layers are broken when nested / applied to groups. Can we do anything to help?

I've seen the latest video that Affinity is busy working on improving performance for large documents. But i would really prefer an app giving correct results vs. an app that produces wrong results 10 times faster.

https://youtu.be/JnfxzknVK_0

On 3/19/2021 at 3:33 PM, MEB said:

Hi @dmstraker, @NotMyFault,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. We've been quite busy lately due to the amount of new posts/support tickets generated by the latest releases and the 90 day free trial offer/discounts.
The Channel Mixer adjustment seems to be working fine for me when set to alpha in all positions. Can you record a clip please? Maybe I'm missing something...
Curves and Levels are not working. I've logged this to be looked at. Thanks for reporting it.

• 4 weeks later...

Update to 1.10.0.1127 (non-beta)

• The issue slightly evolved, but is partially unsolved (for levels adjustment)

Good news: now working

• nested curves on alpha
  • nested channel mixer on alpha

Still not working:

• nested levels adjustment

But there is a trick: if you add a (neutral) nested curves or channel mixer, the nested levels adjustment starts working!

image.png.0ad5bd9c48c767c2976040ef25cbc4d8.png

image.thumb.png.8abd4c3a837db33cc8ddb87abc0f7f97.png

1.10.0.1127 alpha nested bug.afphoto