You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can Affinity Designer create .svgs that will draw well in doodle software?

Hi, I'd like to be able to convert say a .png to .svg in order to have it draw nicely in Easy Sketch Pro 3, Explaindio or VideoFX.

I did import a png line drawing with transparent background into AD & exported it as a .svg but when I imported the folder with it in, or when I just imported the image into Easy Sketch Pro 3 the folder was empty or nothing was added to the canvas. 
So not only does it not draw nicely but it's invisible.

Do you have any tips to do this?
It would be great to be able to have a larger variety of images to doodle or sketch with these programs but it seems some svgs show up & draw well while others don't.

Thanks for any help. If we can get this to work you would have a lot of customers :)

I have a Mac mini running 10.10.5 that meets AD system requirements.

Here is the image I used: https://pixabay.com/en/flower-pink-blossom-pegals-lotus-305662/(the smallest png)
(I know there is also an .svg download option of this image & it does import & draw well in ESP3, just there are a lot more pngs that don't have an svg version to download.

• Staff

Hi Doodler,

I'll just quickly mention it to check if you were aware or not, but if you open/place a PNG image and export to SVG, the best you're going to get is an SVG with a bitmap in it - which isn't what an SVG is really meant for? If you wanted to convert the PNG to vectors then save it to SVG you'll need some kind of image tracing software - it currently isn't a function in Affinity Designer.

If that's okay and all you were trying to do was make an SVG with a PNG in it, then I'm sure we can help you if there's a problem, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that all you would achieve is literally to embed that image inside an SVG file - which is more wasteful and essentially the same as just opening that image into the other program in the first place...

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks Happy :)
I do want to make pngs traceable.
I do have tracing software that needs svgs to trace but the ones I make in Affinity Designer don't trace or even show up in the tracing software I have.
I guess AD is not going to work for me then.
I thought there might be some simple work around.
Thanks