You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I cannot view Affinity jpgs, tiffs, cr2 Raw files using AP & Beta, Windows or Canon DPP 4

Working in the Windows 10 environment (latest updates) I have a major problem with all software reading/viewing Affinity jpg, tiffs and Cr2 RAW files.

1. When using Affinity Photo and AP Beta version when trying to locate a photo using the Open function the files/photos images cannot be viewed in the Microsoft file structure. What I see is theimage.png.a9ce1abe38327eb7ab23728f53f94fca.png file icon.

2. When I try to view a file(s) going by using the MS file structure I see the same file AP icon.

3. Using Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 (latest version) I can sometimes view the files regardless of extension but it isn't a reliable way to view all of the time. Moreover, if I wanted to use this software I cannot click on a jpg, tiff or Cr2 Raw file and have it open in AP. Nor does it ink to AP. Pretty useless.

You're assistance is appreciated.

Scott

Edited by Scott Townley
Spelling and grammar correction

2 hours ago, Scott Townley said:

1. When using Affinity Photo and AP Beta version when trying to locate a photo using the Open function the files/photos images cannot be viewed in the Microsoft file structure. What I see is theimage.png.a9ce1abe38327eb7ab23728f53f94fca.png file icon.

In the Open dialog (and in File Explorer in general) what have you asked to be displayed. You would see that if you had asked for Tiles instead of Icons:

image.png.c8a593f91f914c84ae9d34f0e90e706a.png

In general I would recommend using one of the icon settings above.

I would also recommend that you configure File Explorer to show the filename extensions if you haven't already done that:

image.png.425d2f036499a4c010ace81ea26b4a7a.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

@Scott Townley Have you checked to see what the default apps set to open your images are? In Windows Explorer, right click, Open With > Choose Another app Windows will usually default to Photos which is recommend to keep or set for other file types as well. As it's Windows generating the thumbnail previews of files and some may not have a preview as Windows doesn't have a built in codec to read the file and this mostly occurs with RAW files.