You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wrap — save as default

Maan

Hello — new user here, just in from Quarkland.

In Publisher, I want every picture frame to have a ‘runaround’ of 5 mm. So I draw a frame, call the Text Wrap dialog, set it to Square and 5 mm. Next, from the Edit menu, I select Defaults>Synchronize from selection, and Defaults>Save. I expected my next picture frame to use these values and the text to wrap, but it doesn’t work like that — I have to call the Text Wrap dialog again for each new picture.

This seems to be a bug...

@Pauls, in case the tag afb-2680 is meant to cause an adjustment of the Affinity Help text, this topic might be related, too:

Issues with Affinity Defaults and their customizable options were reported by users quite a few times. It's not only the exact workflow  which confuses but also the lack of unambiguous documentation about which parameters can be saved and which don't.

Additionally some defaults get permanently auto-updated + applied to new created objects, e.g. frame stroke & fill or some (not all) text style attributes. Some defaults seem to behave different on different computers, as e.g. the text language setting, which maybe influenced by the OS and/or the app language. Other custom defaults get respected with a specific workflow only, e.g. Picture Frame properties which applies saved defaults only if the object is created with the Tool but not with the command "Convert to…".

This "flexibility" of UI / UX make Defaults not only hard to use but also hard to judge whether the Defaults principle doesn't work properly for a specific attribute, isn't used correctly or isn't programmed and therefore isn't meant to work "by design".

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

23 hours ago, Pauls said:

Text wrap settings are not saved to defaults due to performance reasons. As a workaround create an asset with the required settings and drag that on

But they _are_ being saved! 

First, I draw a picture frame, set the wrap values in the dialog, and close it. Next, I draw a new picture frame, and the text does not wrap, as reported. However, if I now click the Edit Wrap Outline icon with the frame selected, the text wraps around the frame with my new values. And if I open the Show Text Wrap Settings dialog, I see the new values, and the Wrap Style I chose (the Wrap To value seems to be lost, though). Odd...