You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Startup performance 1.8.6 (and 1.9.0, 1.9.1)

6 hours ago, Willem Jan Drijfhout said:

My beta-version had the same issue (only tried Photo)

My Beta versions of Photo and Designer are not having this problem at all, using Big Sur v. 11.1. I haven’t updated to v. 11.2 yet.  Nor are the retail versions 1.8.6.  This is obviously a random issue which Serif is working hard to resolve.  I would suspect that every developer of Mac-compatible software is struggling right now too.  The nice thing is that Serif is hard at work on it and we will all surely benefit in short order.  To quote an old saying “Patience is a virtue.”  But then, there was also the old saying “Virtue is it’s own reward.”  😷

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I have the MAS versions of Photo, Designer, and Publisher.  Recently got an M1 MacBook Pro (16GB of RAM/unified memory) and have all three apps on the internal SSD. I'll randomly get startup times of up to 19-20 seconds or as low as 1-2 seconds.  Longer startup times are more common.

Following this thread, I'm thankful for the suggestion to duplicates the apps and then run them.  I'll try this.  Question: will I need to keep the original files, or can I delete them?

20 minutes ago, Bombermac said:

I have the MAS versions of Photo, Designer, and Publisher.  Recently got an M1 MacBook Pro (16GB of RAM/unified memory) and have all three apps on the internal SSD. I'll randomly get startup times of up to 19-20 seconds or as low as 1-2 seconds.  Longer startup times are more common.

Following this thread, I'm thankful for the suggestion to duplicates the apps and then run them.  I'll try this.  Question: will I need to keep the original files, or can I delete them?

On the advice of a fellow M1 Mac and Affinity app owner on Discord, I tried deleting the originals and the copies seem to open after about 3-4 seconds. This is definitely acceptable, but it's also a little curious since previous to this fix, I've randomly had all three apps open even faster than 3-4 seconds--and the fellow on discord (who has the website versions of the apps) seems to consistently gets 1-2 second opening times on his M1 Mac (with less memory than mine).

The Copy idea so far is working for me. I'm guessing it has to do with permissions on some file within the app bundles when you copy it on your own drive.

My Designer takes about 4 seconds vs about 2 for Photo, but I have a lot more brushes and add-ons with Designer, and I figure that takes a little extra time to load.

So first start performance is still a problem in 1.9. I clicked the app icon multiple times before realizing it was actually trying to open. First start seems to take about 30+ seconds, while subsequent starts are typically under 5 seconds.

Version 1.9

First start-up 10-15 sec.
Second start-up <3 sec.
Startup extensions from Apple Photo's <3 sec.
Start-up extension "Edith in Affinity photo" from Photo's approx. 5 sec.

For me this is very satisfying 

Workflow with Apple Photo's has improved, but still not very user-friendly. Different behaviour between editing RAW or jpeg's in terms of "not able to save edits", or need to first manually flatten, or just works fine or not at all. ;)

The Duplicate app worked for me the times were on my MacBook Air 2017 13inch

Publisher: Before 1 minute 20 secs, After approx 29 seconds

Designer: Before approx 1 minute - 1 minute 20 seconds, After 16 seconds

Photo: Before approx 55 seconds - 1 Minute 20 Seconds, After 16 seconds.

The new load times seemed slightly faster by a couple of seconds after a second re-boot and starting apps again

😀👍

Edited by werdna12

Copying Affinity Designer has worked for me. Before the original app took 20 + bounces in the dock to open. Now the copy launches in 2 to 3 seconds on an M1 Mac mini.

After confirming the app was working I deleted the original and renamed the copy to 'Affinity Designer'. Haven't tried copying Affinity Photo yet.

Just tried the “Copy” workaround. It worked on my Catalina, 2017 iMac 27”. For Publisher and Photo.1.9 versions. Verifying window came up, Little Snitch reporting a connection and validating code sig. Apps launch quickly again. 
Attached is a screen cap of Little Snitch Connection details. It appears that something is happening with the initial App store signing?  Although as you can see from the image, First activity is listed as June of 2019. I’m not a network guru.

Little snitchGrab.jpg

Edited by Blabco
Attached image file

3 hours ago, Blabco said:

Just tried the “Copy” workaround. It worked on my Catalina, 2017 iMac 27”. For Publisher and Photo.1.9 versions. Verifying window came up, Little Snitch reporting a connection and validating code sig. Apps launch quickly again. 
Attached is a screen cap of Little Snitch Connection details. It appears that something is happening with the initial App store signing?  Although as you can see from the image, First activity is listed as June of 2019. I’m not a network guru.

All of my "default" files, that is the empty settings that come with AD, are also 2019, long before I started using it. So I'm guessing that an Affinity thing, not a you thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Now on 1.9.1 as I posted previously the copy app worked for me but now I am finding that it runs slow again. I have duplicated app again and speed improved but don't really want to do this every couple of weeks.

I was originally deleting the originals and keeping duplicates, going to try keeping both copies and see if this works.

Hello. I have 3 MacBooks. Now I do clear instal of last MACOS BigSur 11.2.3. On every NB I try to start Affinity Photo. On MacBook Pro 2018 start about 45sec, on MacBook Air 2020 Intel start 48sec, on MacBookAir M1 start 38sec. It must be some bug in Affinity. Other SW (Garageband/FinalCut and other "big" SW) start on Air M1 MAX 10sec. Please fix it, thank you.

Serif, we're now yet another couple of weeks/months into this. Is there any update on this issue? The copy app work-around has worked for a while, but the problem is now back in full swing again. Possibly related to automatic updates of either the Affinity apps, or Big Sur? Anyway, it is getting extremely frustrating now. And the frustration is partly the wait every time you open the app, but for a much bigger part the apparent lack of willingness and/or ability from Serif to do anything about this. 

• Staff

Readers,

From a number of reports it seems the work around of making a copy of your application may have been "blocked" from working by a recent macOS update. If so it's no longer a suitable work-around. Frankly it was surprising that making a copy worked anyway, and if Apple have spotted the mistake and blocked it then that would seem logical, as all applications should be security checked.

We are working with Apple on this and having another look at why they are treating our application in a way as to not trust it each time the application is started after the machine restarts. We hope we have a possible solution and will try it internally. Rest assured we are working hard on solving this problem. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@Karel Neugebauer

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum. :) 

I have merged your question in with this thread where this has been discussed and my recent reply should be relevant.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...

@Patrick Connor

Version 1.9.2 is still showing the painfully slow start-up - seen this since November 2020 now...

I've made numerous copies of the apps since that was discovered as a workaround.

Is Serif really incapable of providing a quick fix to this bug that doesn't seem to exist in any other apps I've seen? Could you not prioritize it higher?

Thanks!

Updated to Version 1.9.2 hoping that the weird long delay program launch would be resolved. Are you guys running low on capital?  Does your software engineering team not think this is something that is mission critical?  So here we are months on and still no answer to the painfully slow startup of the Affinity software suite.

Kinda unbelieveable. 

Please fix this!

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Patrick Gilmour said:

Still no update? Or does 1.9.3 address this issue?🤞

If 1.9.3 addressed it I'm sure the Release Notes would say so  :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1