You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Startup performance 1.8.6 (and 1.9.0, 1.9.1)

3 minutes ago, DEMinSoCAL said:

This thread is mainly about how long it takes to just launch (start) any of the Affinity apps without opening any data files (ie., just clicking one of the app icons to launch it).  That's the issue everyone here is talking about.

This is what I do: Open the Affinity Publisher App, and I guess it is loading the file but I do not know. Do you have a trick so it does not load any previous file?

20 minutes ago, SwissEngineer said:

This is what I do: Open the Affinity Publisher App, and I guess it is loading the file but I do not know. Do you have a trick so it does not load any previous file?

Try force quitting the app, then deleting the cache file and moving the preferences to Desktop (so you can restore them) then trying again:

Cache (may not exist): ~/Library/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher

Preferences: ~/Library/Preferences/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher.plist

If you don't see your Library folder, in Finder hold down Option (Alt) and click on "Go" Menu

There also the "~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher" folder. Quit the app, move this folder to desktop and try again. (This might actually be the best option).

Edited by Patrick Gilmour
Added content

Ok tried to delete ~/Library/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher, and ~/Library/Preferences/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher.plist. Started Publisher. It did start up, but remembered two files I had worked with in Recent files. Tried the older one, not the one I had uploaded here. And spinning beach ball again.
Found out I had bought this one (in contrast to Designer and Photo) directly on the website with an older email. So my posts are about the directly bought version.

Edited by SwissEngineer
corrected: bought directly, not in App Store

3 hours ago, DEMinSoCAL said:

This thread is mainly about how long it takes to just launch (start) any of the Affinity apps without opening any data files (ie., just clicking one of the app icons to launch it).  That's the issue everyone here is talking about.

You are right. As I found out all is good, ie I have the directly bought version, and after a restart and such it starts up and opens the file.

3 hours ago, Patrick Gilmour said:

@SwissEngineer

I'm able to open that file without issues. Sounds like it's not the same issue as this thread is addressing.

Have you tried force-quitting Publisher rebooting your Mac and trying again?

Thank you so much, yes that solved the issue.
So in relation to the original post I did delete the App, deleted preferences of Publisher, re-downloaded it from the Affinity website, and restarted the Mac. Voilà.
Thank you for suggesting the solution, Patrick Gilmour 🙂

12 hours ago, SwissEngineer said:

Yes, macOS 10.15.6 Catalina, MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) 8 GB RAM, Affinity Publisher 1.8.6 (directly from Affinity downloaded version), opening a book of 300 pages, text mostly, few pictures, had saved that file from within Affinity Publisher. When I open Affinity Publisher it opens, only when I load a file like the one below or create a new file from presets it stalls with a spinning beach ball.
I need this book urgently and already have worked hours on the text which now is lost/locked. Have tried redownload and deleting preferences to no avail.

So Patrick Gilmour found the solution: Restart the Mac. (I had also re-downloaded the App from the Affinity Website and deleted its preferences.)
Able to open the file again, therefore I have deleted the file.

Edited by SwissEngineer
removed file as the issue is solved and the file irrelevant to the solution

Same here with Big Sur 11.1 - on fresh install Photo & Designer & Publisher started up in 2-3 sec, but after after some days of use the startup time is very slow ... almost 30 sec now ... ps: website versions

Edited by GeGr

Same here with Big Sur 11.1 (Website versions). Designer and Photo need 30 sec. after a restart on first launch, then 4 sec. after repeated launches. I think this has nothing to do with Big Sur, I noticed the first launch delay since several updates of the Affinity apps and also on Catalina. MacBook Air 2018 with 8GB RAM.

Also tried Photo version 1.9 - on first launch a quick startup (2-3 sec) but sadly again after several day of use also the same slow first startup as with version 1.8.6 ... (around 22 sec) - and each subsequent startup again within seconds (1-2 sec) ... ps: 1.9 of course website version ...

Edited by GeGr

On my iMac Pro (with the latest version of Affinity Photo and latest version of Big Sur) I experience the following.

When compositing images with layers and masks, blend modes and my Wacom, often the system freezes and it logs me out. When loging in again, it restarts AFP and asks for using the recovery files.

This does not occur on my 13" Macbook Pro with the same Wacom and same software versions. This is an early 2020 model. 

I cannot find a cache file on my iMac Pro. Is there anything I can try to do? Are others experiencing this as well or is this new?

On my Macbook Pro I sometimes do have a lag when starting AFP. Both are from the App Stores. I'll check when this occurs.

• 2 weeks later...

For a few days the delay in starting the Affinity software after restarting my computer no longer occurs with me (Designer and Photo, from the website). The first startup takes two seconds longer and subsequent startups are quick. Perhaps it was a license check which caused the delay at first launch and is now fixed?

2 minutes ago, Ansgar said:

For a few days the delay in starting the Affinity software after restarting my computer no longer occurs with me (Designer and Photo, from the website). The first startup takes two seconds longer and subsequent startups are quick. Perhaps it was a license check which caused the delay at first launch and is now fixed?

Hi @Ansgar - I'm afraid that you'll find the delay returns over time. There is a recurring cycle of long delays followed by some period where the applications open normally. I think you are right and it may be to do with licence checking though.

Even more sad that Affinity isn't communicating what is going on and when we can expect a fix.  

The problem wasn't there in the previous version and suddenly appeared in an update.  Is this really rocket science?

Is there an OFFICIAL FAQ somewhere on this?  Since it affects all Affinity Apps and the forum is divided up by app, is there a central forum for bugs on ALL APPS?

On 12/8/2020 at 12:13 PM, MEB said:

Hi robinp, Michael_123, woodmeister,  Bryan Rieger,
We are aware of the longer time the application takes to launch on a cold boot, both on macOS Catalina and Big Sur on Intel and Apple M1 systems. We are investigating what's going on and will update this thread as soon as we have some news. Thank you all for the feedback/details about OS's and Affinity versions. Much appreciated.

@Michael _123, @woodmeister,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Any update? We're now 1.5 month since the issue surfaced. It is getting rather silly now to still not have a fix or explanation why it's still an issue. The frustration level increases each time the issue occurs (several times a day) and has now reached the level of being very annoyed with Serif's handling of it. 

21 hours ago, Willem Jan Drijfhout said:

Any update? We're now 1.5 month since the issue surfaced. It is getting rather silly now to still not have a fix or explanation why it's still an issue. The frustration level increases each time the issue occurs (several times a day) and has now reached the level of being very annoyed with Serif's handling of it. 

Yes, same thing her and a very slow starting up...

• 2 weeks later...

2020 iMac (i7 32GB all SSD) Big Sur 11.1 MAS-Version 1.8.6 – launch time can be up to 30 Seconds, but not Minutes. Previous machine (late 2013 i7 16GB Fusion Drive) still on Mojave 10.14, but same 1.8.6 launches in couple of seconds.

So it looks like the OS not the 1.8.6… maybe a 32/64bit thing?

After one Affinity app has been launched under 11.1 (wether still running or not), all subsequent starts are about the same speed as on Mojave.

• Staff

That you all for the reports/feedback. It seems to affect those using the Mac App Store version of Affinity Photo on Big Sur mostly (there was a couple reports of users using other macOS versions - we are not sure if it's the same cause). This is a known issue we are still investigating

1 hour ago, MEB said:

That you all for the reports/feedback. It seems to affect those using the Mac App Store version of Affinity Photo on Big Sur mostly (there was a couple reports of users using other macOS versions - we are not sure if it's the same cause). This is a known issue we are still investigating

Of course, there are many reports of the startup delay affecting the web-versions of the app.  I, for one, reported that while I purchased the App Store versions of all the apps and all were displaying the start delay, I also then downloaded trial version from your web-store and while at first they started normally, in a couple weeks they also started to display the start delay similar to the App Store versions.  I removed the trials as they were no better than the App Store at that point.

Given it's been 2 months since this started and you're "still investigating", it sounds like it's not a high priority for your team.

Such things are the reason why I am using different apps where possible. Affinity is fast in bringing new features (often features not really needed to most of the users) ..... but Affinity is on the slowest side, when it's about fixing software problems. Fixing problems not seems to be their main priority, and so be prepared this bug will remain a long time I guess! This is just my opinion after struggling with different problems, some making app almost unusable, apps I paid for.