You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 4 months later...

Hi Andy,

I am also new at this ....could you please tell where to find the guidelines to save me filtering through all the forums ... I don't have time for that 

thanks 

Chris

I'd love to have a Manual.  I'm one of those people who actually do read them, and refer back to them when a question arises.  It's simply easier to have a Manual open on my (physical) desk or, if in PDF form, open on my Pad while using AD or AP than it is to switch windows back and forth between the app and Help.

Personally, I don't need a manual, but I can understand why someone would want one.

I'm convinced that once the Affinity apps become more popular, the manuals will write themselves. And by “write themselves” I mean “be published by Peachpit, New Riders, Adobe Press (just kidding), etc.”.

Hi JohnB and photofriend, welcome to the forums. 

I need manuals too, Serif produces some nifty guides for its Plus range over on Windows. Well written, handily sized and matches perfectly, with everything on the screen.

main-li.jpg

This link is from MEB. Should be your first port of call. This link should be featured on the welcome screen.

http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• 1 month later...

There are two other reasons to want a manual:

- Mac help search sucks, sucks, sucks.

- The Mac help window can't be placed behind other windows.

The trend of applications not creating manuals is one of the most depressing trends in software development. The other one is having to create an account on the site of every single vendor you're considering for actually purchasing software.

Like reading books and e-books I also like to have a paper manual next to the tutorial vids. Another big advantage is that

I don't have to listen to the background "music" some videos have  ;)

I can understand that people would like to have a manual to read, it is nice but to be honest, I haven't seen an actual manual in many years. The last time I actually saw a user manual with software was before the year 2000. After that it the trend was to include the manual as a PDF file (but no printed version). Then companies moved it online, and now many companies just do Help Files. In this day and age, I never expect a manual. My question to those who would like a manual is, would you still be asking for a manual if you had to pay for it? 

Leigh converted the Affinity Photo Beta help files to an epub version.  Why can't AD do something similar for Affinity Designer?  The problem I'm having with it may be a glitch in my system but I am finding the Online Help utterly unusable?  I have to expand the page to the edge of my 20" screen then still scroll and scroll to the right because the text will not wrap to fit the available space.  It's an adequate help function if you only want to look up one thing but as a manual to read, more importantly, as a learning device, it is simply not working for me.  Maybe the problem is in my system.  If not, please fix this.  I've read enough to want to read more.  

• 1 month later...

Yes, I'm another user of both AD and AP beta who would find a paper user manual a godsend. It may be a failing on my part but I find it totally frustrating switching back and to between app and online help.

I see that LilliG above says "Leigh converted the Affinity Photo Beta help files to an epub version". Please, where can I download this?

I'm sure that if the Affinity Apps become as successful as they currently indicate to be there will be plenty of paper user manuals in the years to come. Problem is at 74 I need them now!

I too like printed manuals and and find them very useful. I use InDesign a lot and have several books and manuals on the subject. But, by far, the best manual is one published by O'Reilly, called InDesign Production Cookbook. This is probably the best example of very clever design, layout and concise writing that makes using this book a real pleasure. (I noticed that it was printed in the UK.) If Affinity could work with these folks in preparing a manual they would have a very useful manual that they could sell and really help the Affinity programs  get out into the mainstream and really give Adobe something to worry about.

Affinity rocks. I hope they complete the circle with a manual that is as outstanding as their programs.

I can understand that people would like to have a manual to read, it is nice but to be honest, I haven't seen an actual manual in many years. The last time I actually saw a user manual with software was before the year 2000. After that it the trend was to include the manual as a PDF file (but no printed version). Then companies moved it online, and now many companies just do Help Files. In this day and age, I never expect a manual. My question to those who would like a manual is, would you still be asking for a manual if you had to pay for it? 

I've purchased manuals for each version of an application - InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator. Find them easier to use beside me when I am working on something new and I need to reference it. 

DesignNorth,

I can understand how you feel. I think having a manual (a physical book) next to you that you can refer to is great but I like it to be an option as there are some applications where I don't want the manual and I'd rather not have to pay for it if I don't want or need it. I do have a question, you said that your purchased manuals for InDesign, Photoshop, & Illustrator but did you purchase them from Adobe or from another company (like the Missing Manual series for example)? Just curious. 

• 3 years later...

Hokusai,

Not sure if you will get my answer 4 years later! :) I've been debating for so long whether to use Affinity or not instead of my main Adobe CS6 apps. I always purchased Visual Quick Start Guide books. They been a great help and much easier to learn than an online reference.

I am upgrading my 24" 2009 iMac and don't know if my Adobe CS6 apps will work on a new iMac.