You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen Pressure Issues (Wacom Tablet)

I found an earlier thread discussing the topic from last year, however not of the fixes work; I tried all of them except for one solution I am having trouble with.

When I have the paint brush tool active in Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer (Publisher?), the "controller" function does not even show, so I can't change the setting for it to "pressure" at all. It is like the controller function doesn't even exist.

Affinity Trio: 1.9+ Updated

Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Large Paper Edition (2017); Updated to most recent driver edition

Please help with this.

22 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

Do you have the context toolbar active? View> show context toolbar

Yes, I have the context toolbar active, in both Photo & Designer.

Edit: The "Controller" option doesn't even show up when the Paint Brush Tool is active.

I figured it out by playing with the software. Getting pressure sensitivity is on a per brush basis. With the Paint Brush Tool selected (Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer), select your appropriate pixel brush in the brush panel, next click on "More" in the context toolbar, and go to the "Dynamics" category for the brush, then:

- Set size jitter to 90% (personal preference) and Flow Jitter to 50% (personal preference); set both to Pressure. Affinity Photo & Designer will remember these settings after you quit both of them and open them later. These settings are on a per brush basis.

• 8 months later...

Regarding Affinity Photo.
Hi, I find absolutely ridiculous having to manually set the pressure inside brush settings, I have to do it  for every single brush I might get to use. This should be set for pressure by DEFAULT if a tablet is detected.

Also, I´ve gone mad trying to find that "controller" command in the "context menu" ´till I found this thread. Someone should  specify that one appears on Affinity Designer´s context menu.

On 11/18/2021 at 2:13 AM, InigoRotaetxe said:

Regarding Affinity Photo.
Hi, I find absolutely ridiculous having to manually set the pressure inside brush settings, I have to do it  for every single brush I might get to use. This should be set for pressure by DEFAULT if a tablet is detected.

Also, I´ve gone mad trying to find that "controller" command in the "context menu" ´till I found this thread. Someone should  specify that one appears on Affinity Designer´s context menu.

How could I help clarify this thread for you? What parts are confusing? To help you better, include screen shots for Photo and Designer.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:12 PM, JT_Allen said:

How could I help clarify this thread for you? What parts are confusing? To help you better, include screen shots for Photo and Designer.

Hi, thanks for take the time to answer. I think I did not explain myself correctly. Your explanation of how to achieve pressure control is very clear, no problem getting it working.
My dislike goes to the Affinity Photo UIX.
-I feel this fundamental control (brush pressure) should be placed in the top menu of the PAINT BRUSH TOOL, somewhere easily accessible, not deep inside the brush definition.

-Also I find useless having 22 default Basics brushes all of them without pressure activated.
My previous comment was referred to this,  to use pressure in any of these brushes then one must edit each of them, and this is several clicks away.
The use of this brushes is unknown to me, what for would I want a brush that behaves like a mouse when we have pressure tablets!. If I make enough pressure with the pen I get 100% flow from the beginning of the stroke. I see no need for these "no pressure" brushes.

Another thing regarding the UIX for the affinity team: please make PAINT BRUSH TOOL to be automatically selected once a brush from the brushes library is selected.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 3:25 AM, InigoRotaetxe said:

Hi, thanks for take the time to answer. I think I did not explain myself correctly. Your explanation of how to achieve pressure control is very clear, no problem getting it working.
My dislike goes to the Affinity Photo UIX.
-I feel this fundamental control (brush pressure) should be placed in the top menu of the PAINT BRUSH TOOL, somewhere easily accessible, not deep inside the brush definition.

-Also I find useless having 22 default Basics brushes all of them without pressure activated.
My previous comment was referred to this,  to use pressure in any of these brushes then one must edit each of them, and this is several clicks away.
The use of this brushes is unknown to me, what for would I want a brush that behaves like a mouse when we have pressure tablets!. If I make enough pressure with the pen I get 100% flow from the beginning of the stroke. I see no need for these "no pressure" brushes.

Another thing regarding the UIX for the affinity team: please make PAINT BRUSH TOOL to be automatically selected once a brush from the brushes library is selected.

Thanks!

Then you will need to take this up with the Affinity team to have this changed, and get enough people behind you on it so they know it is a highly popular requested change. That is the only way I see it getting their attention.