You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want to use Designer to design a layout for my garden. The garden is about 8 meters wide by 15 meters long.

Is there any problems with creating a document so big? I am not planning on exporting it to a raster image - and can leave the default resolution at 72ppi.

Would it be better to set my document to 8 x 15 cm and just divide all my measurements by 100? So that 1m becomes 1cm in the document? I just don't want to get so far in and find that performance becomes sluggish.

The document unit of measure (UOM) is largely irrelevant to the ‘weight’ of the document (size in memory and/or disk).
For example, a document with a UOM of pixels containing a 1000×1000 pixel image with be the same ‘weight’ as another document containing the same image but with a UOM of metres.
It’s the content of the document that matters when it comes to the ‘size/weight’ of the document, not its dimensions or DPI (unless you want to print/export it).
In your case, as far as I can tell from what you have said, the UOM won’t make any difference and you should be able to use metres without any problems.