You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ Publisher 1.9.1] smart master pages – Image proportions changes

Hi,

step by step I'm beginning to understand the weird way Publisher handles images (only Image and Image Box that don't understand EXIF etc.). After trying the promising advantage of Smart Master Pages, I was a bit disappointed. I load an image that is set to Max fit and change the image box it is scaled but not proportionally.

This should definitely not be the case... or? see video

Thanks for the video, but it's hard for me to figure out what's happening at that speed and especially with the language differences.

You said that you have "an  image that is set to Max fit and change the image box it is scaled but not proportionally." Images are not set to "max fit". The picture frame is set, using the Picture Frame Properties button on the Context Toolbar.

Do you have the same properties set on the picture frame on both Master Pages? The design of Publisher's Smart Masters allows the images to migrate between frames with different settings, and to be automatically processed according to the new frame's properties.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Affinity Team, this simple cannot be the intended function of max size and smart master pages. An accidental change of the image proportions can lead to real trouble with "some jobs" if the client sees this in the print product. Such (really) great features should work (with your claim), I must be able to trust my layout program, that it can not come to hidden mistakes, which I must later laboriously rework/find out.

Again a more detailed video in english and the file to test/see it myself.  At the end I wanted to test again the max fit with change of the picture box works and was then even more confused that it does not work and then with another picture box, with the identical setting it works then nevertheless.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-09 um 11.05.35.jpg

1_9_1_test_smart_master.afpub

• 1 month later...

Hi @SPaceBar thanks for asking, just tested it with the current 1.9.3 version of APup, unfortunately when updating with another master page that has different image frames (like in my video), the aspect ratio of the images is still changed. 
This feature would be super sweet if it would work without errors.