You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have viewed the above thread and the video in it. This doesn;t help.

My Issue:

I need to fill a certain colour space in a complex image with a colour picked from another part of that [flat] image. I use the colour picker to select the colour I want to use, and that by default paints the whole layer, which I can undo. It's fiddly but.... there we go. 

My issue is that I can't transfer this chosen colour from my picker to my flood fill tool. I select flood fill and then try to select the picker colour in the top right corner - by clicking on the colour it ALWAYS colours the whole layer rather than my flood fill tool. This occurs on all areas I can find the colour picker.

How do I tell my Flood fill to use the colour selected by the picker. When I use a brush tool the brush correctly selects the picked colour.

Cheers

Sounds like you are working with an "image" layer and not a "pixel" layer

Select the layer in the Layers panel then Layer > Rasterise from the menus

Then try the procedure again

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Or, if using the Color Picker Tool (as opposed to the eyedropper from, e.g, the color panel), turn off "Apply to Selection" in the Context Toolbar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

58 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Select the layer in the Layers panel then Layer > Rasterise from the menus

Then try the procedure again

That's what I needed, thank you. I was working on a screenshot and find the best way to get these things to work intuitively is to flatten the image once it's pasted from the screenshot tool.

Cheers

46 minutes ago, carl123 said:

31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Or, if using the Color Picker Tool (as opposed to the eyedropper from, e.g, the color panel), turn off "Apply to Selection" in the Context Toolbar.

I would expect if "Apply to Selection" is active a picked colour would get applied to a current selection only.

Whereas …
… on an image layer with this option off a picked colour indeed does not get applied when picked – but as soon the picked color (its well) gets clicked then again it gets applied to the entire layer, not to a selection only.
… on a pixel layer the active option "Apply to Selection" doesn't cause a picked colour getting applied at all, neither to the selection nor to the entire layer.

That feels confusing, doesn't it? – Is there a misunderstanding with the term "Selection" in this option?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

52 minutes ago, thomaso said:

That feels confusing, doesn't it? – Is there a misunderstanding with the term "Selection" in this option?

Selection can mean a Pixel selection, or an object selection (i.e., a layer). In this case the Context Toolbar means an object selection, I believe.

This is further complicated by (Image) layers having a Fill that acts like the Fill of a vector object, and can be changed via the color wells. (Pixel) layers also have a Fill, but it's accessed differently, e.g., via the Fill Tool.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Selection can mean a Pixel selection, or an object selection (i.e., a layer). In this case the Context Toolbar means an object selection, I believe.

This is further complicated by (Image) layers having a Fill that acts like the Fill of a vector object, and can be changed via the color wells. (Pixel) layers also have a Fill, but it's accessed differently, e.g., via the Fill Tool.

haha, well you've lost me.... but in this context I am not working with any layers - there is a single layer containing screenshotted image data (from printScr button) pasted into Affinity Photo via the File command.  I always turn off "Apply to Selection" .
Cheers

1 minute ago, MartinMHC said:

but in this context I am not working with any layers

And it's an (Image) layer, do before picking a color using the Color Picker Tool you need to either:

1. Deselect the layer. Or

2. Turn off that option in the Context Toolbar. Or

3. Rasterize the layer.

If your goal is to later apply the color to part of the layer, then approach 3 will be required before you apply it, if you didn't do it earlier before you picked the color.

-- Walt
PC: