apaeffgen

[By Design] Export of Pdf 1.7 not readable in CorelDraw X6

Affinity Designer Beta 1.3.5.3, Export of PDF 1.7

PDF can be read by PDF-Reader Programs on Mac and Windows

Corel Draw X6 gives an Error. "This file is damaged".

Opening the file and saving as in a PDF-Reader makes the file Readable in CorelDraw

EPS and PDF 1.6 also do not work in CorelDraw X6. SVG has a rendering problem.  in iDraw for Mac svg and eps works.

I need a format that preserves layers and sublayers in Corel. Older PDF work, but do not preserve any layers.

Maybe the svg export could be improved? There are layers, there are edit ability of text. Just some structures do not get rendered correctly.

Unfortunately it seems a flaw in the new pdf export engine of the beta version of Designer.

I tried Corel X7, same error as in X4 and X6. Also Adobe Illustrator CS4 has rendering problems with the new pdf.

Only the stable pdf export (old engine) works well in Illustrator / CorelDraw.

Also the layers are not preserved in Illustrator CS4 with the new pdf engine (PDF 1.7).

Some PDF-Readers (Nitro-Reader (win), Apple Preview(mac)) render the pdf from the new engine correctly.

Even with Affinity Designer 1.4.1 CorelDraw x6 says: file is damaged.

If i open the original exported document in PDF-Expert 1.4 and use in the menu "save as Flatten...." than it can be read by Corel.

So whatever flatten means in the terms of PDF-File-Construction. Maybe you should add such an export function?

If Acrobat opens the PDF, then it is probably a problem with Corel Draw, not Affinity. It's worth making sure that File > Export > PDF > More > Allow advanced features is off; that simplifies the PDF so that Illustrator can handle it and it may be that the limitations of Corel Draw are similar. You might also try setting Compatibility to PDF/X1-a instead of PDF 1.7. That rasterises all the transparency.

We do have a Flatten preset, which is intended mainly for Photo: it turns the document into an image and embeds that in the PDF. That ought to work as a last resort.

It's possible that Corel Draw X7 doesn't read the (relatively new) PDF 1.7 yet.

Have you tried opening the file with a (free) trial of Corel Draw X8 (came out a couple of weeks ago)?

If not, please send it to me via PM / Dropbox-Link and I'll give it a try.

To Dave Harris:

With the "Allow Advanced Features" off, and PDF 1.4 Corel X6 can open the file correctly.

All other PDF Versions do not work. So i guess it is a Corel related problem not supporting newer PDF-Version.

This bug can be closed then.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the feedback. The advanced features give better quality when printing, so we do want them enabled by default for the printing presets. I've closed this as By Design.