You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking for a “fanning” feature and a way adjust color proportionally.

I’m looking for 2 features I use a lot in lighting design. Wondering if designer 1.9.1 has something similar.

1. Is referred to as “fanning” in the lighting design world. I don’t know if it’s called something different in the graphic world, but essentially being able to fan in and out multiple values at once using a common pivot point and offset values.

example with curves: Take a straight curve using the pen tool. Duplicate it 5 times. Then select all 5 lines and fan them using the rotation point of the first curve as the common pivot. You could then have every line’s angle increased by 10 degrees as it fans out (0,10,20,30,40). Possibly also V fanning using the middle selected layer ( curve 3) as the starting point (20,10,0,10,20).  

example with color: Select 5 fills and have them fan from red to orange without using a gradient with solid colors as the result. 

2. Changing colors proportIonally with current values without resetting them. Like grabbing 5 shapes/curves using different colors and quickly spinning all 5 of the colors’ hue at the same time.

Many thanks!

You could use Power Duplicate to create a curve or use the pie tool to create 10º arcs, an added bonus to using the pie tool is the rotation point is already set to the centre i.e. the narrow point. of the arc shape then duplicate arc and add a 10º rotation based on a specified rotation anchor point, then continue to duplicate and you will see the duplicate route around that point at 10º intervals.

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/duplicate.html

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Panels/transformPanel.html

Changing the hue would be easy enough using the HSL adjustment filter.

image.png.e147943893389fe4ddcc1ad7530155fa.png

Once you have your fanning you can create an asset from the asset panel to create reusable er! assets lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for the tips. Power duplicate should speed things up for me. 

When rotating I’m thinking more of fanning using the degree a bit differently than just a certain degree evenly spaced. More selecting a bunch of curves and having them move further away based on its layering positions. If I had curves 1-5, the distance between 4 and 5 would be much greater than 1 and 2. The closer you are to the pivot, the less degree of a change is made (I can make a visual if it helps).

56 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Changing the hue would be easy enough using the HSL adjustment filter.

HSL at the top of a group seems to do the trick. What’s good way to manage that when the desired content to be altered is split between multiple layers and groups? 

thank you!

You can add the adjustment layer to the group at the top of the group stack to control it's impact on other layers or groups within the document.

A visual would help 👍

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I've tried the power duplicate option but it doesn't maintain a central rotation point, as the line moves up by say 2% and rotates, the rotation point moves over so what you end up with is an arc, like so...

image.png.ae222f447a3648f033638f6b18fe1ade.png

You can enter things like this...
image.png.c95f42c65a23c94a366291a9402107da.png

See the Y: entry this will move the curve up 2%, because the line is rotated the centre point is move off centre, maybe someone knows a way of maintaining a vertical centre.

Awesome. Never knew you could enter percentage at X/Y - that will be helpful in this process.

I guess I should just make some assets as you mentioned. Might as well.

I think what I’m looking for might be a feature request. I want to be lazy and grab 30 curves in a group and quickly fan them (in, out, in inverted, out inverted, center V, center V inverted, in/out from center pivot, and a few other fanning modes) using one action. Preferably this action could be linked to whatever value you wish, X, Y, Rotation, etc.Then expand into color commands.

It’s a common feature on digital lighting consoles and saves a ton of time when positioning hundreds of things relatively but using offsets in the fan presets. I can see it as something very handy in graphic design.

For colors: create hundreds of circles, then make them all red. Then fan them all out towards blue. Now you have hundreds of circles varying from red to magenta, to blue and all hues between. Then one could V fan that same group using saturation. 

That seems like it would take some time using HSL layer adjustment but would take 60 sec using a fan feature. 

thanks!