You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: apostrophe in Section headers

Hepl please. Either I cannot find a workaround or there is a bug here.

When entering a Section name in a lengthy Publisher document showing a Book Chapter title (eg -- Jo's last scrape -- the inverted comma (single quote mark) in Dan's shows as a simple tick (foot sign) rather than the normal inverted comma mark. This also occurs for double quote marks " "

Using the same font I set the verso pages header (difectly typing onto Master page) as  -- Jo's boys -- where the inverted comma is typographically corect.

Advise please if this is bug - in which case please can you fix it. If not, please advise a workaround.

Capture.PNG.32456df768c1562dfef37748c19627e8.PNG

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Are you saying that when the section name contains the apostrophe, and Publisher puts the section name on a page, it remains a straight apostrophe rather than becoming typographic?

If so, that's not surprising to me, as the transformation is part of Auto-Correct processing, which only applies when you're typing.

I can't check right now to confirm it will work, but have you tried putting a typographic apostrophe into your section name via copy/paste?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the speedy reply, Will.

Yes, your description of the problem is as you say.

Yes, I've tried using copy/paste in the way you suggest and no, it doesn't work.

The workaround I've now used is to define a Master Section and apply it to the relevant pages. A bit tedious for a lengthy docment, but at least it's typographically correct.

D

There has to be a way of doing this on Windows too...

The only way I could get this to work was to use the Mac's Shift + Option + ] (closing square bracket) for the apostrophe. This is typing in the Section name of the Section Manager, it looks like a straight single quote in the Manager but it shows as an apostrophe in the actual page. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.