You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Major Mac crash using AD

I have now had two crashes over a period of 3 days. With fairly small files when trying to save. In the first crash I got an out of memory error and was forced to 'Force Quit'

I rebooted Mac and found that Finder had lost all reference to files and my desktop did not restore. Only option was to revert to an earlier backup of the system using time machine. Lost a lot of work.

Second crash occurred today and again on an attempt to save. Now scared to use AD!

I feel your pain Paul😧
As no one else on these forums seems to be experiencing such dire crashes, I’m afraid to say it’s like to be related to something specific to your system and/or the files involved.
As always these things happen at the weekend so not too many Serif staff around at the moment to help.
But if you could post more details about your OS the files involved and attach the crash reports I’m sure someone tomorrow from Serif will respond soon.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

I now think that the is not necessarily an AD problem. It may be because I have only 8Gb memory. My normal memory usage is 4.2 Gb. So maybe even a small AD file can cause me to use all available. I will keep a watch on it. AD is magnificent so I don't want to stop using it!

On 3/7/2021 at 3:17 PM, PaulHatton said:

rebooted Mac

What kind of Mac?
Hard drive or SSD?
How much free boot volume space?

22 hours ago, PaulHatton said:

I have only 8Gb memory

My 2008 MacBook Pro has just 4 GB and it can run Affinity just fine, El Capitan being the maximum OS. But it has to write to swap memory more often. That used to be painfully slow while still booting off a spinning drive, but got amazingly fast – for a 13 years old computer! – after installing a high quality 2 TB SSD.

So 8 GB RAM is not the sole bottleneck.

Hence my question about the free drive space. If you're running out of free storage in general, that's quite a common cause of such troubles. Rule of thumb being at least 10–15 % of the boot volume size should remain free so that the OS can write swap and cache files as it sees fit.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Thanks for your reply

I have a 2017 27" MAC with 8GB RAM. It has 1 TB fusion drive (SSD?). I have no complaints about AD - it has always been superb. I think the problem is a combination of circumstances and usage. Maybe it goes across Apple/AD/HP Printer ( I have had problems about printer for two years with AD (after any upgrade fo Ad I have had to delete and reinstall printer HP Envy Photo).

Since my last I have restarted my Mac and all seems normal at the moment.  My disc is 1TB fusion drive with. 616GB free out of 1.03 TB

Please ask me some questions if you wish. Sorry I am so vague!

• Staff

Hi PaulHatton,

Sorry for the delay in responding - unfortunately there isn't much information we can really go on here.
Has this crashed any more for you since restarting the Mac? Are you able to attach the actual crash reports the Mac generates please? Without these we can't get any idea on what might be happening.

If the crash is reproducible for you using specific files could you also attach those, and a quick video showing the steps you're taking to reproduce the crash with those files.

On 3/9/2021 at 5:47 PM, PaulHatton said:

It has 1 TB fusion drive

I have no direct experience with those, but I remember reading about various issues with them. So perhaps this might help:
duckduckgo.com/?q=imac+fusion+drive+corruption&t=ffab&ia=web

A bad RAM module is also a possibilty.

In other words, Designer's involvement might be just a coincidence.

8 minutes ago, Sean P said:

attach the actual crash reports the Mac generates

Those would be in:
/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports
/Users/your_user_name/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2