You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion: duplicate and linked objects + tabs repeat

Hello everyone,

I miss an option to be able to duplicate and repeat objects accurately (numerically X and Y). In many occasions for example when I prepare a document for printing on adhesive sheet and digital cutting with a plotter, in this case it is necessary to duplicate and rotate objects to save material, it's not possible to make a n-up imposition layout of rectangular pages. I need to fit the objects optimally even rotate them if it's necessary.

Real example:

plotter.JPG.2afb4479bce9e62697a3ba7cb27dbd07.JPG

Continuing with the above, it would be very useful to be able to duplicate objects as an instance (linked objects), so that once you have the complete manual n-up imposing page, any modification on a single object will be replicated in all other linked objects. This could be useful in many other situations.

And finally, it is absurd that there isn't a duplicate and repeat tab distance function. Please, add a simple option to repeat tabs with the same distance from the previous one. It's a pain in the neck to create or modify manually accurate distances with several tabs and numbers with decimals... like:

tabs.JPG.e2d409faf753ffce12f8d47b9615846f.JPG

Thank you!!

On 3/7/2021 at 6:41 AM, Lluís said:

I miss an option to be able to duplicate and repeat objects accurately (numerically X and Y).

The power duplicate feature across all three Affinity apps will take care of many of these situations. This is where you duplicate an object, apply a transform on the duplicated object, and duplicate again.

On 3/7/2021 at 6:41 AM, Lluís said:

be able to duplicate objects as an instance (linked objects), so that once you have the complete manual n-up imposing page, any modification on a single object will be replicated in all other linked objects.

The symbols feature of Designer does what you describe.

Here is a quick video to illustrate these symbols and power duplicate together to give you the idea. Affinity Designer is the best choice for this kind of work, but since you have posted in the Publisher forum, I made my example video using Publisher, but I had to use the Designer persona to make use of the Symbols studio.

thank you garrettm30,

I found another way to create a linked objects (groups) in Affinity Publisher.

I simple just create a single document in Affinity Designer and then, import (linked) ".afdesign" file into a Publisher document... and voilà, you can use a power duplicate to create and distribute copies on a large page... and yes, if you modify and save the original Designer file, all of copies into a Publisher document will automaticly update maintaining its position and rotation. Obviusly you can do the same with an Affinity Photo file.