You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying text styles per text frame; problems with colour.

I'm having a problem; I think I mentioned it before; I'm just hoping that there's been an update or something since it seems like I'm missing something. 

I have white text on a black page that overflows (correct term?) into black text on a white page. When text is part of the same paragraph I can't seem to alter it without altering the entire paragraph. 

Ideally there'd be a way of having the text automatically change style when it becomes a part of that text frame. 

But even if that's not possible; can I not change the colour of the text if it's in the same paragraph? 

And even if that's possible it's frustrating because if I change any of the layout I have to keep on going back to make sure no text has crept into the wrong section and is the wrong colour which is even harder because it may be white text on a white background and black on black and, thus, invisible. 

Maddening!

Video of the problem. 

One “trick” is to use a Blend Mode of Negation on the frames which will be on the page(s) with a white background and put a white rectangle covering the whole white page(s) – the Negation doesn’t work against the page background which ‘isn’t really there’.
No extra Styles needed; see attached video.

Edit: I've attached an example AFPUB document.

Note: I have not tested exporting so you will need to check the result is okay for what you want.

same-text-black-white-mix.afpub

Edited by GarryP
Added example document.

10 minutes ago, GarryP said:

(E.g Is the text rasterised or not?

Yes, the text on the white page is rasterized in a PDF export.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yeah.
I’ve experimented with a few other things but haven’t found a way to do it nicely while not being rasterised on export.
That’s not to say that it can’t be done, just that I don’t know how.
I have a feeling that it can’t be done with the functionality we have at the moment, but I’d be happy to be proved wrong.

Yes. I wish text frame style included the possibility to control colour of the text inside it. 

On a separate note; is there a way to update my text frame styles? In styles from the hamburger menu there appears to be no option to update. 

No, there is no way to update a style (Styles panel). You can only apply the style to an object, delete the style, update the object, and create a new style from the object.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, james948 said:

I have white text on a black page that overflows (correct term?) into black text on a white page. When text is part of the same paragraph I can't seem to alter it without altering the entire paragraph. 

Take a look at this one, everything will get rasterized on export to pdf due to the Contrast Negate blend mode but black to white works other wise. This is the Master Page setup:

49561976_ScreenShot2021-03-07at9_37_12AM.png.87b59dfcd31d140665e5a66d3e3b4902.png

Note also that your Text ink must be CMYK at 100 100 100 100 for this to work, similar to the red or white solution above

test 2.afpub

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Here's how to do it without blend modes, without rasterizing and without character styles:

The resulting PDF/X-3: apu_pos_neg_live_text_no_rasterize.pdf
Note that the negative text has been converted to paths. The live text is hidden underneath but also there. But that's still better than crappy antialiased pixels…

Edited by loukash
compacted *.mov to to *.mp4

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

10 minutes ago, loukash said:

without blend modes, without rasterizing and without character styles:

^ Here's the corresponding APu document: apu_pos_neg_live_text_no_rasterize.afpub

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 3/7/2021 at 7:58 PM, German Printer said:

Many roads lead to Rome

Latürnich:

Edited by loukash

It seems ALL roads lead to rome. Thank you to @loukash and @germanprinter (whom I don't know how to tag given the space in the username) and everyone who replied on this thread. 

@loukash I think yours is the winner. 

Going to try it out now. 

On another note entirely, this forum is the fastest and best help I've received on any forum hands down. Whatever Affinity/Serif is doing it's very good!

On 3/8/2021 at 11:13 AM, james948 said:

I don't know how to tag given the space in the username

type:

@German Printer

Voilà.

Edited by loukash

1 minute ago, james948 said:

it now puts a hyphen in the name

Apparently they have changed their user name in the meantime.