You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All,

New user to affinity designer here!

I am trying to import some svgs into the program, but they seem to always come up as completely black. It seems to be fine on browser SVG viewers and AI. another problem is the dotted bands either side do not properly import either, they load in as this shape attached.

Any advise on how I can get this to properly import?

Cheers!

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 08.54.04.png

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 08.54.16.png

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 08.52.24.png

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 08.57.32.png

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 08.57.48.png

Hi and welcome!

Affinity's SVG parser handles just a common subset of the SVG specification, meaning it doesn't handle all the SVG spec offers. So in your case it probably doesn't know to deal with the defined styles there. - So if you have Illustrator too export as PDF (try PDF for exchange) and try to import the PDF into Affinity instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

Well, I have experienced the same thing, but found a solution. I cannot take credit for it, but I found it in a Quora Google thread. I have tested it in both Affinity Designer 2.3 and Publisher 2.3 and it is a super easy fix - at least it was for me.

When you open your SVG and see the dreaded solid black. Look in your Layers palette. You will see that there is a "rectangle" layer AND the actual image layer (At least this is what I have seen on my SVG images with this issue.). You will see that the rectangle layer looks to be solid black -- and, yes, it is as it has a black fill AND a stroke (usually). All you have to do is select that black rectangle layer and then choose "no fill" and leave the stroke if you want one -- or choose "no stroke" for the image as well.

VOILA! You can now see your image. I hope this works for everyone else!