You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simple Cartoon Effect

I haven't seen this before, so I figured I would share. This is a simple cartoon like effect. This is similar to the pseudo cell shading tutorial by Affinity, but that's because they used the edge detect tool too. So for what it's worth here we go.

First copy your background layer, CMD-J

Go to Filter, Detect, Detect Edges. Set the blend mode to subtract.

Add the adjustment layer, posterize. Adjust the levels for taste. My example uses 4.

That's it. Now you have a basic cartoon stylized picture. You can use all sorts of additional methods from here. But this seems a good starting point. Hope you find something useful in this. Cheers.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Gee I would have never thought of the steps you shown in replying to my help.  Thank you so much.  I hope in the upgrades Affinity is doing they will bring back the filters Comic & others as in Serif Photoplus.

DonS

I have posted a macro called "Watercolor and Ink Simulation" at the link below. This might be another alternative for the effect you're seeking.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/42249-watercolor-ink-simulation/

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Nice one, crabtrem! I especially like your use of Subtract and Posterise.

Out of interest, I posted a 'cartoon' note recently here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41447-cartoon-effect-with-ap/

Things you can do in your method too include:

• Soften the jaggies with Gaussian Blur (tiny change may be all that's needed).
  • Simplify with Levels (gradually move up black slider).
  • Make lines monochrome with Black & White.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• 1 year later...
On 10/7/2015 at 12:24 PM, crabtrem said:

I haven't seen this before, so I figured I would share. This is a simple cartoon like effect. This is similar to the pseudo cell shading tutorial by Affinity, but that's because they used the edge detect tool too. So for what it's worth here we go.

First copy your background layer, CMD-J

Go to Filter, Detect, Detect Edges. Set the blend mode to subtract.

Add the adjustment layer, posterize. Adjust the levels for taste. My example uses 4.

That's it. Now you have a basic cartoon stylized picture. You can use all sorts of additional methods from here. But this seems a good starting point. Hope you find something useful in this. Cheers.

Hi @crabtrem

You have shared the good and helpful information sure I will apply your crucial tips.

Daniel Dixon

PHP Developer

• 11 months later...

Thanks. It's a good starting point, but still much work ahead.

I like some of the FX Cartoonizer Effects, but overall you have no control over the result.
You can just choose the preset effects and hope that it fits. It does for some photos.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 3 years later...