You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help needed using ADe without reading 30 Tutorials (split)

I ordered a Designer Workbook last year and it never arrived. Naturally, I requested my money back after 3 months of waiting. The fact I was told it was delivered (when it wasn't) made me suspicious about the way Serif manages or "doesn't" manage tracking on shipping. It's beyond belief. Now they are OUT OF STOCK. Which leads me to this forum (suggested by Serif). What I am wanting to accomplish versus what is being offered are two different scenarios. With no workbook to be had or videos that are called "tutorials", but aren't, I'm left with a really bad experience. Perhaps Serif could care less. Who knows? It doesn't diminish my desire to try using the Designer software, however, it's just too involved to go skimming through 30 plus videos on techniques when I all am wanting is to start a project (a simple one) and follow it through. Nothing extravagant or needlessly boring. Just a simple artistic project of say, designing a fish with colorful scales, utilizing ALL the necessary steps to completion. It seems like too much to ask, after reading all the posts in this forum. It's also nerve-wracking and spineless for a company to offer a product then not even offer a remotely idiot proof tutorial that walks the user through using the same product. Please tell me there is something out there, somewhere, for a complete novice to begin without having to sample through 30 "how to" videos to compile one single project. I'd be most grateful. Hell, I'd be "over the moon"!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

sorry to hear of your issues. 
I‘m not related to affinity, only a user.

There are some excellent tutorials explaining the overall process from start to finish, see below. The first is about drawing fish 😄 in 17 Minutes  

It is a bit exaggerated to expect Affinity to cover all learning aspects for all users.

Like a car company, Affinity provides the product (app/car), bur not the driving license or training. Affinity mainly  explains  the functions and user interface, but not every workflow technique. 

The videos linked below from the creative sessions are artists who let you peek into the artistic workflow   Hopefully this is what you expect 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Watching some tutorials may be the best way to get started. Or reading the Help.

If you're not happy with the current set of tutorials provided by Serif, you might try the older ones:

Or search YouTube for Affinity Designer. You should find several that are for beginners.

There are also courses covering Designer on Udemy that you might find useful.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1