You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fix for Disappearing Panels Beta in Version 1.9.2.997

I apologize if this isn't the proper place for workarounds and resolutions to bugs.

While working in the beta branch today I ran into an issue where all of my panels disappeared. In the attached video you can see the difference between the production version and the beta version. For anyone else experiencing this issue, the solution I found was to go to View/Studio/Hide Studio. Doing this restored the panels to the factory default. Hopefully this will help someone out there.

View > Studio > Hide Studio would not reset it to factory defaults. That would be View > Studio > Reset Studio. In your case, your studio was hidden, and Hide Studio is a toggle. That's why clicking it again brought your studio panels back. But not to factory defaults; only to whatever you had set them to last.

However, it looks to me like your actual problem might be that you had toggled the complete UI off (View > Toggle UI, with the Tab key as a default shortcut). And the best fix for that is pressing Tab again.

2 minutes ago, lb Cake said:

I apologize if this isn't the proper place for workarounds and resolutions to bugs.

The "Designer Bugs found on Windows" forum is for issues found in the retail releases. Right now, that would be 1.9.1.979. If you're experiencing issues with the beta, you would post in the Designer Beta on Windows forum, instead.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for the feedback Walt I wasn't aware of the Toggle UI shortcut. 

Based on the behavior of the beta version I have to agree with you that the panels were hidden, especially after playing with the keyboard shortcut and seeing the exact screen I had before my fix.  However, I did not hide the panels, not even accidentally. The program became unresponsive after I applied Select/Select Same/Fill Color to a large number of objects. As Designer was coming to grips with the volume of selected objects the panels disappeared with no input from me. Additionally, my panel layout does not include the Assets panel, nor are my panels docked within the active window (I move them to a second monitor on my left), hence my statement that the factory default panels were restored by clicking Hide Studio. The restored panels are the exact panels, in the exact configuration as the factory layout found with a fresh install.

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The "Designer Bugs found on Windows" forum is for issues found in the retail releases. Right now, that would be 1.9.1.979. If you're experiencing issues with the beta, you would post in the Designer Beta on Windows forum, instead.

I apologize again, I thought I was in the beta forums. 

Interesting. Not sure what might explain that panel behavior.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 2:45 PM, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. Not sure what might explain that panel behavior.

On 3/7/2021 at 4:30 AM, Umiama said:

Edited. I repeated what you did but it works correctly...

I apologize for reply so belatedly, my alerts are a mess. All the same thanks for taking the time @walt.farrell and @Umiama. I can't really explain it either, it was one of a many issues I was having after the 1.9 update. For now at least it seems Designer and I have settle on a truce and everything is working efficiently and (mostly) correctly now.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.