You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

problems opening tiff files in Affinity Photo with sufficient resolution

I am thinking the Typhoon FLA 9500 (?) messed up the export of the file to TIFF.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, tpaull said:

There are pixelation/resolution problems opening tiff files generated by other instruments though. Not specific to the typhoon.

Do you have the ability to set the export settings for all these instruments? Choose a colour space and high bit depth for all of them. Say.... 16 bit Greyscale, D50.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The image does not have an embedded grayscale profile, and the overall interpretation of the grayscale values in the data can vary depending on the profile that is used for display.  You might want to check the Typhoon FLA scanner software to see if it has the ability to export the TIFF with a particular profile embedded (tagged) in the exported file.  Either that, or see if the scanner software user manual explains how the grayscale image data are formatted (for example, the gamma of the grayscale encoded data) so that you can ASSIGN that particular profile within AP.

User Manual:

https://www.dbi.udel.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Typhoon-FLA-9500-UserManual.pdf

According to this literature:

https://rega.kuleuven.be/bac/economou/files/pdf/manuals/typhoon-fla9500-biomolecular-imager.pdf

the output files are stored in two different formats:

Data storage

Data are stored either in linear 16-bit grayscale TIFF (.TIF file format) or in square root encoded 16-bit TIFF (.GEL file format). The .GEL format encoding provides higher dynamic resolution than .TIF at lower signal levels to exploit the low signal detection capability of the phosphorimaging technology.

The dialog warning that AP displays is telling you that the image you are opening has no embedded profile and that AP is assigning one, by default (based on your color settings in the Preferences).  This may not be the correct profile to interpret the image data, so the appearance of the image may not be what you expect in AP until you assign the correct profile.

kirk

OK, thanks. It is true that opening the gel file instead of the tiff export gives a better match to the original.  It also helps to change the color profile in AP first to 16-bit grey; this allows for similar color as the original also. I think this problem is reasonably solved now.