You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all — new user here, just in from Quarkland.

Like everyone else here, I seem to struggle with text and paragraph styles. Sometimes, I want my paragraph style to completely override my default text type, like a Helvetica subhead in a Times document. Other times I want it to honour local settings, like a no-indent first paragraph with italics (style or ad hoc) in it.

I just can’t figure out how to adjust the settings to have them do by default what I want them to do, without having to pull the hamburger. I’ve tried everything — Paragraph style ‘Based on normal’, ‘Based on heading’ or ‘Based on No Style’, control-click the hamburger and choose one from the pop-up (with or without text selected), Edit>Default>Synchronize followed by Edit>Default>Save...

I think I saw a kind of checkmark in the hamburger menu once, when I was exploring an earlier version of Publisher, but now I can’t reproduce it in any way. Can someone please help me out?

Things might be easier if I were able to set these default behaviours in the Edit Text Styles dialog...

(iMac 2014, OS 10.14.6 and MBA 2020, OS 10.12.2)

Sounds like "No Change" in Edit Text Styles may be what you're looking for. But without some specific examples (and possibly a sample .afpub document illustrating an issue you're having) it will be difficult, I think, to provide much information.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for your quick response!

Here’s an MWE, I hope. The word ‘minima’ is just ad hoc italics, ‘consequatur’ is character-styled. If I change the first paragraph to ‘First graph’ (that’s ‘Main’ with first line indent set to 0 mm) I want the paragraph to retain all italics. So I have to pull the hamburger and choose ‘Change and preserve local formatting’. How can I make this the default behaviour, so it keeps all italics without having to use the hamburger? I’ve tried to follow the instructions in the Help file, but nothing seems to happen.

And I’ve tried to reproduce my problem with subheadings retaining the Main style, but I can’t. In this example, it does say ‘Subhead + Palatino’, but uses Helvetica (like it should). The problem was that it did say ‘Subhead + Palatino’ but the font did not change to Helvetica. Curious...

Test 42.afpub

I am confused. Why do you have a Character Style named Palatino which does absolutely nothing? It is based on No Style and has No Change for all the various items. What ever settings you have for your default for new text will just flow through this Palatino.... seems odd to me.

Having said that I don't really know if what you want to do with the local formatting is possible. I just don't work that way so I have never really looked into it, Italic, Bold, Bold Italic etc. get turned into actual Character Styles and then I can change and apply Paragraph styles as I wish.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Maan said:

So I have to pull the hamburger and choose ‘Change and preserve local formatting’. How can I make this the default behaviour, so it keeps all italics without having to use the hamburger? I’ve tried to follow the instructions in the Help file, but nothing seems to happen.

Thanks for these details, and the file.

Which Help instructions are you talking about? I do not think there is a way to make that the default behavior.

And I think that @Old Bruce is right. If you want to make sure that character-based formatting is not overridden, you either need to use the hamburger menu, or you need to use character styles, not local formatting.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The Character Style Palatino was just a dummy to test if it would make any difference if I had my Subhead based on No Style or on the basic text type (the problem being that the subhead still used the basic text type). In the real world, I'll need character styles e.g., to select words in foreign languages so that spelling and hyphenation use the proper dictionaries. 

This is the Help I was referring to, from 'Using text styles':

You can also set the default override behaviour for your styles in readiness for applying the style directly from the panel. Simply deselect all text and text frames in advance, then check the above options you want enforced. When you select the text style name from the style list, the previously set override behaviour will be used on 'target' paragraphs

I assumed this would do what I wanted, but I don't see anything happening...

Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Maan said:

This is the Help I was referring to, from 'Using text styles':

You can also set the default override behaviour for your styles in readiness for applying the style directly from the panel. Simply deselect all text and text frames in advance, then check the above options you want enforced. When you select the text style name from the style list, the previously set override behaviour will be used on 'target' paragraphs

I assumed this would do what I wanted, but I don't see anything happening...

Thanks!

Okay, I see no way that anything other than the opposite of what you want is "checkable" meaning we can clear the local character styling when applying a Paragraph style. Far back in my memory original beta or for version1.7(?) I think this was doable but I don't recall ever really using it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.