You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a group of shapes that together form a rectangular ribbon in Designer.

What I want to be able to do is to apply a slight "S" bend to the grouped object, but still retain it as an editable vector object.

If it was a single rectangle I could convert it to curves, and use the node tool, but that doesn't seem to work with a grouped object.

Any ideas ?

Ribbon.afdesign

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

I know this sounds crazy but there is no method or tool that will allow you to easily bend/warp vectors in Affinity. There are tedious long-winded node editing methods but nothing that would make it as simple as pulling and pushing a few nodes.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

I know this sounds crazy but there is no method or tool that will allow you to easily bend/warp vectors in Affinity. There are tedious long-winded node editing methods but nothing that would make it as simple as pulling and pushing a few nodes.

Thank you for the response. That is very disappointing. 
I'd even settle for trying some "tedious long-winded node editing methods" if that could achieve what I need.

Copy paste it into the VectorStyler beta (free download) it's a very clunky interface and not very pleasurable to use, but it has all the basic tools you would expect for vector design so you may have to have a play around with it, the vector distortion ability is amazing and really quick and should just copy paste back into Affinity - yes very very frustrating but until we get this massive omission in Affinity - theres not much else you can do unless you have an old copy of Illustrator (I use CS5) Freehand, CoralDraw and all the others

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

1 hour ago, Greyfox said:

Thank you for the response. That is very disappointing. 
I'd even settle for trying some "tedious long-winded node editing methods" if that could achieve what I need.

As a tedious, long-winded method, try this:

1. Create a rectangle that covers your existing shapes (or use the geometry operations on a copy of your shapes).
  2. Convert this rectangle to curves and shape it to the desired S-bend.
  3. Use the node editor to drag nodes from your shapes to fit withing your distorted rectangle.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

@John Rostron, @Dazmondo77

Thanks for your replies.

After some struggling to come to grips with it, I've been able to do what I wanted using Inkscape. It has path effects which allow both bending of groups, and also perspective envelopes.
At the moment I'm just running it as a Portable App, but will probably eventually install it as it does have some nice features. 

15 hours ago, catlover said:

Could you provide an example of what you want the final ribbon to look like ?

Here is an example based on the file I posted initially.

ShapedRibbon.svg