You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is this invisible mask thing coming from?

Can anyone see anything from this picture? I'm painting on a pixel layer, using the default brush, no selection, no mask (on that layer), yet there's clearly something blocking the brush in some areas...

image.png.44ff4db5c16aee61de13c0b65dfa4219.png

I can't share the file because I bought it from a stock photo site, and I'm just using the mouse for now because I wanted to do a quick job.

(There's zero chance to convince any coworkers to try Affinity when things like this happens 2 min into working in a file. I have a new machine but I guess I'm installing Photoshop on this one too... sigh!)

Ok, so turns out that Affinity's hardware acceleration is incompatible with Quadro cards:

image.png.51b5f29a5e434109d4515ac7d3142aa7.png

And btw, I'm using an Nvidia driver approved for Siemens NX, provided by HP, so don't even try to give me shit about that. ;)

Pretty basic question (but it's a bit difficult to tell exactly what you're doing from your screen shot) is "Protect Alpha" unticked?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Right hand end of Context Toolbar at top of screen.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad