You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello! Has anybody ever experienced a locked leading? No matter how I change the leading size, the spacing doesn't change on the text. Please see screenshots of when leading value is different but the spacing remains the same on the actual text.

I noticed that this only happens when I copy over existing text on other afpub files. And that actually opens up other problems as well (e.g. stroke outline becomes thicker or thinner when I copy paste from another afpub file)

This is really bugging me so much as I work with templates and I have to use pre made layouts over and over again.

I hope someone can help.

48 leading.png

12 leading.png

Check the Character Panel, I believe there is a Leading Override setting in there

(Reset it to Auto)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Also check your Baseline Grid settings for your document. These are in View - Baseline Grid Manager - .

1732464770_Screenshot2021-03-04at09_16_56.png.1f53a42ca759bd541eff64d7f3c2b355.png

and also for the individual text frame in View - Studio - Text Frame:

1976592039_Screenshot2021-03-04at09_18_04.png.ed555ce4c2a80ffde89d909f062c8139.png

If the original text frame was not set to lock to Ignore Baseline Grid, and your document or text frame has a baseline grid (showing or not) then changing the leading may not necessarily change the line spacing. This is 9pt leading with a 48pt Baseline Grid:

16684011_Screenshot2021-03-04at09_18_30.png.9bac1b2b9d3d470465b2741ff378c5ef.png

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2021 at 4:22 AM, h_d said:

Also check your Baseline Grid settings for your document. These are in View - Baseline Grid Manager - .

1732464770_Screenshot2021-03-04at09_16_56.png.1f53a42ca759bd541eff64d7f3c2b355.png

and also for the individual text frame in View - Studio - Text Frame:

1976592039_Screenshot2021-03-04at09_18_04.png.ed555ce4c2a80ffde89d909f062c8139.png

If the original text frame was not set to lock to Ignore Baseline Grid, and your document or text frame has a baseline grid (showing or not) then changing the leading may not necessarily change the line spacing. This is 9pt leading with a 48pt Baseline Grid:

16684011_Screenshot2021-03-04at09_18_30.png.9bac1b2b9d3d470465b2741ff378c5ef.png

Cheers,

H

OMG  you solved a problem that was driving me looney. Baseline Grid was on and leading adjustments would seem buggy not responsive.  Many thanks. How many others has this perplexed?

18 hours ago, DNA0101 said:

How many others has this perplexed?

Many, many others.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I am going to post this issue for the developers as a usability problem. This predicament has wasted me and others endless hours sorting this design setting that needs to be more clearly mentioned. I found one line not even highlighted that makes all the difference on the Baseline help page.

"The baseline grid's Grid Spacing option overrides the leading value of frame text."

No mention on the Leading page that this will constrain your layout tweaking severely...and get you thinking it's a bug or you are an idiot. 🤨

Baseline Grid is disabled, and toggle for Align to baseline grid is also off --- it's really a weird bug for leading which is EXTREMELY inconvenient when you encounter it -- my workaround has been to create separate text boxes for each line which is stupid and defeats the purpose of a publishing software. I think it's especially vexing if you work a lot with templates --- which is what we do in our company. 

3 hours ago, jakeilustrisimo said:

Baseline Grid is disabled, and toggle for Align to baseline grid is also off --- it's really a weird bug for leading which is EXTREMELY inconvenient when you encounter it -- my workaround has been to create separate text boxes for each line which is stupid and defeats the purpose of a publishing software. I think it's especially vexing if you work a lot with templates --- which is what we do in our company. 

There are Baseline Grid settings for the document, and for each Text Frame in the document. When you say it is disabled, have you checked both locations?

Can you supply a sample document that exhibits the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1