You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: Alternate glyph selection

It would be cool when working with Opentype fonts with alternate glyphs, to be able to select a character with alternate glyphs and have AD present you the alternate glyphs, in the same manner as autocorrect presents alternate spelling suggestions beneath a misspelled word.

Thanks for your consideration.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 2 months later...

I agree, a way to access all glyphs in a font is what I need the most. ronnyb's suggestion is nice but a simple panel showing all glyphs in the current font would already be great.

For now I use Font Book or a small utility called PopChar to select the glyph I need, but it is cumbersome, and some fonts (Adobe Caslon Pro for example) have characters that are not mapped to a unicode code point and cannot be pasted in AD. 

• 2 weeks later...

The current Mac App Store version does now include previews in its Typography panel, and this now supports OpenType features for All Alternates and Stylistic Alternates. We still need a way to browse all the glyphs in a font, that works for all fonts even if they don't do OpenType; that will come in due course.