You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On which platform, Windows? - When you say the software won't open, do you mean here it's Installer and so you can't install the software, or do you mean instead the already installed software then?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

20 minutes ago, IngridQ said:

Hi, i'm on Windows. I mean the already installed software. When I click the icon, the first screen shows (with the purple octopus) then software closes....

Ok so we got a step further now in analysis. - Since there can be different possible reasons for that shutdown or crash, do you run your Windows system on a computer with some dedicated graphics card (GPU), so do you know the specs of your computers or laptops hardware, the graphics card that it has build-in?

Otherwise look after possible by Affinity Photo generated crash report files, these if created during crashing usually reside under a as default by Windows hidden directory:

• %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports

If there are any crash reports, copy and zip these together, and post (attach) them into a bug posting you can create in this section "Photo Bugs found on Windows", so the devs can take a look at these and tell you if the problem is OpenCL and GPU driver related or has another cause like a sideeffect with some third party app etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

17 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Ok so we got a step further now in analysis. - Since there can be different possible reasons for that shutdown or crash, do you run your Windows system on a computer with some dedicated graphics card (GPU), so do you know the specs of your computers or laptops hardware, the graphics card that it has build-in?

Otherwise look after possible by Affinity Photo generated crash report files, these if created during crashing usually reside under a as default by Windows hidden directory:

• %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports

If there are any crash reports, copy and zip these together, and post (attach) them into a bug posting you can create in this section "Photo Bugs found on Windows", so the devs can take a look at these and tell you if the problem is OpenCL and GPU driver related or has another cause like a sideeffect with some third party app etc.

Didn't find any crash reports in Windows. Here's the issue.

1. Download Affinity.

2. Affinity installation is complete

3. When I click to open Affinity, a box appears with following options: 1. REPAIR  2. UNINSTALL

Affinity Photo was first downloaded on March 2. It worked fine.

Today March 3, Affinity Photo won't open

No other apps were downloaded...

Tried to reinstall for 8th time

Message reads: 

SETUP FAILED

An installation package for the product Affinity Photo cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'Affinity.msi'.

What does this  mean?

Thank you 

8 minutes ago, IngridQ said:

Tried to reinstall for 8th time

Message reads: 

SETUP FAILED

An installation package for the product Affinity Photo cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'Affinity.msi'.

What does this  mean?

That means that the Installer can not be found or is corrupted.

Try to completely deinstall the software first from the Windows applications & features panel. Afterwards fetch a fresh installer download via your Affinity Store account (go there with your webbrowser) and reinstall the software.

If the installation works, meaning if you can reinstall the software newly, don't click afterwards or use that repair button! - You need to reach again a state where the software will be completely installed and can be at least started until it crashes or disappears from screen.

Also check if you possibly have some Firewall or Antivirus software enabled which blocks certain things here then during reinstalling or execution afterwards.

Look after ...

C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\
... etc.

Or use the Windows search facilities.

Further see:

• Staff

Hi IngridQ,

I can't add much more to what v_kyr has suggested already (thanks) but we need to get you back into the state where the app is installed and we can attempt to launch it.

Once we have reached that, please check the known 3rd party apps which can cause issues - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/44770-issues-caused-by-third-party-software/

Make sure you have all your Windows updates installed and then ensure you've got any remaining drivers updated such as whatever GPU is driving the Lenovo. There might even be an installed utility which can check all this.

11 minutes ago, IngridQ said:

Tried everything. The software keep asking to repair or install. I click repair and nothing happens. Can i give someone remote access to take a look on my pc? I am desparate

Did you ever run the Microsoft Uninstall Troubleshooter as suggested above? Was it successful?

Did you then re-download and reinstall the application? Did the installer seem to complete correctly?

(You keep talking about clicking on Repair. Please do not do that. I think you should (a) uninstall and then (b) reinstall and tell us the results. Then, if starting the application gets you the prompt to Repair, don't do it. Take a screenshot, and close that box (X).)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes did run Microsoft uninstall troubleshooter and yes it was successful as I removed all affinity apps.

Yes re-download today. Yes installer was successful as I agreed to Serif terms. 

Then it asked to repair. So i did. I will now uninstall and reinstall for the 13th time.

Thank you

20 minutes ago, IngridQ said:

Yes installer was successful as I agreed to Serif terms. 

Normally, I think, the sequence would be this:

1. Run installer.
  2. Click on application shortcut.
  3. Provide product key and email, and agree to terms.
  4. Application runs.

It sounds like you're saying that after step 3 you got the Repair prompt. Can you confirm that sequence? That would be a very odd time to get that prompt. If you were going to get it I would expect it after step 2. (Or maybe I've misremembered the sequence. It's a long time since I've done an Affinity install from scratch.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Today, Tuesday 9th March the Beta version won't open.  When the shortcut is clicked, the opening screen appears, then nothing happens. This is the same problem with the 1.9. version. This is strange because the software downloaded and worked perfectly on Monday but won't work today. Have done everything I can to resolve this issue. I located the folder, screen shot below, don't know what else I can do. This morning I uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times but problem is still unresolved. I reached out to customer support to offer remote access but they said they do not do that, don't know what else to do but to request a refund and find another photo editing software

COMMON_FOLDER_IS_EMPTY.docx

18 minutes ago, IngridQ said:

Today, Tuesday 9th March the Beta version won't open.  When the shortcut is clicked, the opening screen appears, then nothing happens. This is the same problem with the 1.9. version. This is strange because the software downloaded and worked perfectly on Monday but won't work today.

It sounds like you have something installed on your system (Antivirus or Malware protection, or some 3rd-party cleanup program, or some other 3rd-party program) that is interfering with the operation of the Affinity products.

There is nothing that Serif will be able to do about that. But perhaps you can look at the applications you have installed. There is also a list of problematic applications you might check for:

By the way, when providing screenshots, if you need to do that again, it's best to simply paste them into the forum post you're making, rather than putting them in a .docx file.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks Walt. Don't have any of those software on my PC. Still trying to troubleshoot affinity. When I try to reinstall software, a box appears with following message: - Folder exists and is not empty. Please choose a new folder or empty folder. BUT I cannot find this existing folder on my PC. Have searched with AFFINITY and PHOTO.EXE but it doesn't show up. I'm puzzled... can you suggest anything...

27 minutes ago, IngridQ said:

This morning I uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times but problem is still unresolved.

Well always deinstalling/reinstalling doesn't solve the problem and can instead (in worst cases) cause to even worser problems, if for example during deinstallation certain things aren't removed correctly and thus are left over and then can conflict with a new instlalation in turn. - An overall better way is to pinpoint the concrete error or problem, looking at possible Win system error log messages and possible by Affinity generated crash reports.

8 minutes ago, IngridQ said:

When I try to reinstall software, a box appears with following message: - Folder exists and is not empty. Please choose a new folder or empty folder.

That's possible a reasons of what I said above!

But you have something on your PC that is making changes, or the program would not work one day and fail the next.

When you say that you get the splash screen and "then nothing happens" do you mean (1) that the splash screen stays up, or (2) that it goes away but you never get the application window?

For 1: open the Windows Task Manager, find the application in the list of processes (it may be in the background list), right-click on it, and choose Create Dump File. The dump may help Serif figure out what's happening.

For 2: Press the Windows key and R, and paste this into the box (I'm assuming you're using the Photo beta) and press OK.   %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\Reports
Do you see a .dmp file that corresponds to the time of the problem? If so, it will help Serif.

-- Walt
PC: