You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

plugin woes (redux)

The Topaz plugins, most of which had been working on my system, have now stopped working and cause an AP (and APB) crash. PhotoFXlab, which had been working as a plugin launch platform for all of the Topaz plugins, now crashes when started as soon as I move the cursor near the controls that actually make the tool useful.

I am not suggesting that this is an AP or APB issue as I believe the plugins had been working not too long ago, but it might be that something that was updated on my system (I am still on Yosemite but I have installed individual app updates) may have caused this problem. Or it might be that the plugins were working on the previous release of AP and stopped when 1.3.5 was installed (I am not sure of when the last time they worked was so it might have been under 1.3.4).

Thought I should post this just to let people know that there may be an issue and to ask others who have AP 1.3.5 installed and use the Topaz plugins to see if they are still working. At least that way I would know if it was only my system or if there was a problem with 1.3.5. I have Adjust, Detail, DeNoise and Clarity that were working and ReMask which never worked. Some of my plugins will work on the first call, but all subsequent calls of any plugin crash.

Thank you for any information.

Mike,

I have Affinity Photo 1.3.5. I opened an image and called Topaz B&W Effects. Other than requiring me to enter my serial number again it worked. After applying an adjustment I returned to AP and called Topaz Simplify. It also wanted the serial number again but it also worked, I applied an effect and returned to AP without problem. It seems that those that were working are still working. Same for those that weren't working.

Mike,

I have Affinity Photo 1.3.5. I opened an image and called Topaz B&W Effects. Other than requiring me to enter my serial number again it worked. After applying an adjustment I returned to AP and called Topaz Simplify. It also wanted the serial number again but it also worked, I applied an effect and returned to AP without problem. It seems that those that were working are still working. Same for those that weren't working.

Thanks for posting. I guess it is something on my system. 

PhotoFXlab, which allowed me to run all of the Topaz plugins, now crashes every time I open it. Adjust is now crashing when it worked before. Some plugins seem to work, but then the next call using the same image crashes AP, but it is good to hear that it is not a general problem so now I can concentrate of what was done to my system lately. Perhaps I need to restore an earlier backup.

Hi MikeFromMesa!

I have Topaz Adjust 5 installed with that latest Beta (1.3.5.3) and this works fine, I am running El Capitan however. 

Let us know if your having the same issue after trying the restore, if you are then I will test this on Yosemite

Jack

Hi MikeFromMesa!

I have Topaz Adjust 5 installed with that latest Beta (1.3.5.3) and this works fine, I am running El Capitan however. 

Let us know if your having the same issue after trying the restore, if you are then I will test this on Yosemite

Jack

I will do so, but I can say that I removed and reset all of the Topaz paths in an effort to see if that fixed the problem. It did not, but it did fix some of it. I can now run several of the plugins but Clarity, which had been working, is now crashing and Adjust, which also had been working, is now crashing if run after another plugin on the same image. that is, Adjust works but DeNoise and then Adjust results in a crash.

photoFXlab is still crashing. I downloaded and installed it again (I was already running the latest version) just to see if that fixed anything, but it did not. That is the real problem as it allowed me to run all of my Topaz plugins and now I can no longer run it. I have been reluctant to install El Capitan because I am not sure that all of my software is compatible yet, but I will do a backup of my current system and do an upgrade to see if it solves my problem. Thank you CCC.

Just to close this post I wanted to mention that the plugin problem I was having appears to have been related to some corruption in the Topaz plugin folders. While I have no idea how or why this happened my post on the Topaz forum got a reply from customer service suggesting that I remove the Topaz folder structure and reinstall.

Reinstallation alone had not solved the problem but folder removal followed by reinstallation did and now all of my Topaz plugins (except Clarity) are working. Clarity is still crashing, but has for a long time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.