You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File > Close (CMD+W) dialog appears behind app

I have a very similar issue that User Lignumaqua has. Every time I use the Command-W to close out this happens to me.   But because I do have the touch bar at the top of my keyboard, I can

1. hit the "cancel" option on the touch bar at the top of my keyboard, and then return to the active AP environment
2. then minimize (window size) my primary AP environment by clicking the green "Exit Full Screen" option button in top left corner.
3. And then I can use the Command-W shortcut again and get the desired result of having the "save window" pop up in a location where I can get to it and utilize it.

It's a longer work around than just using the curser to arrow up to the left corner and close out the non-keyboard-shortcut way.  What makes it frustrating is that I'm an avid keyboard shortcut user and I often forget to use the mouse to log out rather than the CMD-W shortcut.

Also - I have tested this when I'm using a single monitor vs when I use my ipad with sidecar.  Same frustrating scenario no matter the monitor situation.  I've also checked my mac preferences and my AP preferences to see if I can reset window actions, etc. - to no avail.  I just get stuck in that loop every time.  And up until I discovered the cancel option on my keyboard touch bar - I was also having to "force quit"  in order to get out of the situation.

Anyone have a better resolve for this - especially for those who don't have that touch bar at the top of their MAC keyboard?  Maybe set up a custom shortcut key for the "cancel option" ??  But I doubt this would work since AP basically stops accepting any input until you actually utilize the options in that hidden window.  Might be worth trying if you don't have the touch bar option on your keyboard.

IMG_6126.JPG

• Staff

Hi @Paintchip_61,

Welcome to the Affinity forums!

Firstly I have spilt your post into a separate thread of it's own - although seemingly related to the original report in that thread, I feel this is deserved of it's own thread where we can investigate this for you :)

As I have split this thread, this will have removed your 'following' status, please make sure to reselect 'Follow' in the top right of the thread, if you wish to be notified of replies here - 

image.png

In regards to the issue you're having, I'm very sorry to hear you're having trouble! I have asked a colleague of mine using a macbook with the touchbar to try this, however in each Affinity app, the Save As dialog appears in front of the app - whether in full screen or with a second monitor connected.

As this isn't something we're able to replicate here, my first inclination is to try resetting your Affinity app to default settings, as I'm hopeful this will restore original 'window' settings and the dialog will then appear in front of the app for you.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity: Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video. - https://player.vimeo.com/video/189596577/

Please do let me know if this changes the behaviour for you!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @Paintchip_61 - I've not been able to recreate this either, but I wonder…  Would using Mission Control, Exposé, etc perhaps allow you to regain control?  Not all windows "hear" these controls - and quite a lot of the Affinity ones I experimented with don't seem to - but it's worth keeping in mind for if/when you do run into this particular problem again.

mission.png.0e51166982aaaf9a82fee15e3f69ac4b.png

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release