You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer / anti-aliasing

I just commented on precisely this issue in another thread a few minutes ago!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

It's about exporting vector graphics to PNG. Anti-Alias is not as smooth as in Adobe Illustrator.

Understood, which is why I commented in the linked thread about the antialiasing being ‘somewhat lacking’ (i.e. not as good as it could be).

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Understood, which is why I commented in the linked thread about the antialiasing being ‘somewhat lacking’ (i.e. not as good as it could be).

Yes, that is absolutely correct. Anti-alias is flawed.

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

better anti-aliasing of the contours would be appropriate. The contours do not look as smooth as when exported from Adobe Illustrator. Zoom 100%.

Can you upload an example?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

You can see from this example that anti alias is not perfect. Especially with C you can see that.

Um… no, I can't see it. Looks totally OK to me.
But it may possibly depend on the display you're using. I'm at a non-retina 15" MacBook Pro, 1680×1050 px.

How does your same example export from Illustrator?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

17 minutes ago, loukash said:

Um… no, I can't see it. Looks totally OK to me.
But it may possibly depend on the display you're using. I'm at a non-retina 15" MacBook Pro, 1680×1050 px.

For what little it’s worth, it looks fine to me on my iPad.

Alfred spacer.png

@Designer1, these two images look the same to me apart from the colour. It is not really a fair comparison to have one dark blue and the other grey.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

@Designer1, these two images look the same to me apart from the colour. It is not really a fair comparison to have one dark blue and the other grey.

John

Here in blue, exported from CorelDraw. I have compared several times. There is a difference. Smoother.

Unbenannt-1.png

58 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

There is a difference. Smoother.

I’m afraid I can’t see any difference.

Alfred spacer.png

It would help if you showed us examples that were the same size.

However, I copied a screenshot of both from the forum, and resized the one from Coreldraw to be the same size as the other, then recolored it red, reduced its opacity, and overlayed the two images. They are virtually identical, though they do show small differences (look for the reddish or blue-gray fringes around the letters).

I would not call either "smoother", just different.

image.png.733fc48dd6bf9d6bf52461a0d16df2b0.png

Here's the .afphoto file of the overlayed images:

overlay.afphoto

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I downloaded the two images, the original from Afffinity and the final one from Corel Draw. I loaded them into a stack with alignment (they were both the same size)  and ungrouped the stack. By changing the visibility of the top layer I could quickly compare the images. At 100% I could detect no difference. At 300% I could see that they were different, but I could not say that one was better than the other.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It would help if you showed us examples that were the same size.

This.

At the moment we're comparing blueberries with watermelones. ;)

Here png from Affinity Designer and CorelDraw. Both images are the same color and size. The inner rounding at b in Affinity is not as smooth as in Corel. The contour in Affinity is somewhat coarser. I would say that the anti-alias is pretty perfect with Corel and unfortunately not with Affinity Designer. With Affinity Designer, anti-aliasing could be finer. If you enlarge the images to 300%, you can see that Corel's contour is finer and therefore smoother. Possibly it is because Corel PNG has 24 bit?

affinity.png

corel.png

I did the same thing with these two as I did to your earlier images, with the same result. At 100% there was no detectable difference between the two. At 300% I could just discern a difference, but not to say one was better than the other.

Here is the stack as an .afphoto file.

abc2.afphoto

John

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Here png from Affinity Designer and CorelDraw.

You haven’t said which is which. I’m guessing that the first one is from AD and the second one is CD (but only because you’ve named them in that order, not because I can perceive any visual difference).

Below are three screenshots obtained after zooming in on my iPad to make them fill its 9.7″ screen. Can you tell me which one appears twice, and which app it’s from?

49E62858-B705-4CCC-B04F-00775F131D00.thumb.jpeg.df36bfdd598717cbe35cdeea9a78127d.jpeg

A0C65A43-3CB8-4CB0-9622-00402E2CAA28.thumb.jpeg.f131e19a619af617c61ff306dd72044e.jpeg

E968CC21-FF41-45DF-9F72-3D3BF0EBC212.thumb.jpeg.c393bee2dceff4703585cdb4e3c0d186.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

47 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You haven’t said which is which. I’m guessing that the first one is from AD and the second one is CD (but only because you’ve named them in that order, not because I can perceive any visual difference).

Below are three screenshots obtained after zooming in on my iPad to make them fill its 9.7″ screen. Can you tell me which one appears twice, and which app it’s from?

49E62858-B705-4CCC-B04F-00775F131D00.thumb.jpeg.df36bfdd598717cbe35cdeea9a78127d.jpeg

A0C65A43-3CB8-4CB0-9622-00402E2CAA28.thumb.jpeg.f131e19a619af617c61ff306dd72044e.jpeg

E968CC21-FF41-45DF-9F72-3D3BF0EBC212.thumb.jpeg.c393bee2dceff4703585cdb4e3c0d186.jpeg

Yeah right! The first abc is from Affinity and the second from Corel. The point is for the Affinity Designer development team to look at my examples. With Affinity, the smoothing can be better.

13 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

The first abc is from Affinity and the second from Corel.

Thanks for confirming that. Which one did I use for each of my three screenshots?

Alfred spacer.png

33 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

In the middle is from Affinity Designer.

You’re quite correct. Looking at them again now, I can see that the lower left-hand corner of the ‘a’ is a little bit ragged, with a very slight hint of the same problem on the bowl of the ‘b’, but I don’t think it would have been easily perceived if we only had the ‘b’ and the ‘c’ to inspect.

Alfred spacer.png