You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking problems in Affinity Designer

I'm following a tutorial for making a seamless pattern and at the end it says to mask the pattern by dragging/dropping to the vector shape below but when I do that it puts the vector color over my whole pattern. If I remove the vector color then the pattern doesn't show at all. I've also tried putting the vector shape onto the pattern which keeps the pattern colors but adds a haze. Idk why it's doing this, especially when I was able to mask other elements in the pattern.

The ultimate image is supposed to look like the top photo but masked.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 22.19.24.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 22.17.14.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 22.17.45.png

Edited by Zuzug

Welcome to the forum @Zuzug

What you are doing is creating a mask, you need to drag the pattern layer over the rectangle shape and make sure the cursor is about half way over the name of the rectangle layer, you will see a horizontal bar slightly indented once you see that left go of the mouse button and it will nest the pattern layer under the rectangle layer.

Like this.
image.png.97e14bc40cd0e403408547869d22bd58.png

image.png.ea2650e5a24decfe7fb0ab6134e4c504.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, Zuzug said:

it says to mask the pattern by dragging/dropping to the vector shape below

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

What you are doing is creating a mask

That seems to be what the tutorial said to do!

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

you need to drag the pattern layer over the rectangle shape and make sure the cursor is about half way over the name of the rectangle layer, you will see a horizontal bar slightly indented

That’s (clip-)nesting, not masking. It really would be helpful if people making tutorials didn’t ignore the important difference between these terms.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@firstdefence I am trying to create a mask so that when I copy the final image and paste it into a new document, I can create a seamless pattern. I've done it before on a previous design, it's just not working the same for this one. Also when I tried doing what you said it wouldn't let me do that. Maybe because yours are both layers and one of mine is a group? 

Ok I managed to figure it out. I don't know if there's a better way to do this but I copied the square mask, made it white then masked the pattern with that. Took the original square with color and put it as the bottom layer of the pattern.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.17.39.png

8 minutes ago, Zuzug said:

@firstdefence I am trying to create a mask so that when I copy the final image and paste it into a new document, I can create a seamless pattern. I've done it before on a previous design, it's just not working the same for this one. Also when I tried doing what you said it wouldn't let me do that. Maybe because yours are both layers and one of mine is a group? 

Nesting doesn't discriminate between groups and layers. You need to nudge your brolly over on the left.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions