You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer performance

I have version 1.9.1.979, after I update the performance is very bad, I have to wait for each stroke of the pen to complete, from node to node it gets stuck, selecting each object is very time consuming.

There is a solution that is not to update windows to the latest version or the graphics card drivers, because before filing this complaint, perform all the steps.

• Staff

Hi crisdivan,

Are you able to get a an example screen recording of the slowdown you're seeing? Is it reproducible on a new A4 document? Does the turning off snapping help? Does turning off OpenCL in Preferences > Performance help if that is already enabled?

Sean,

I've uploaded the file. For a description of what I was doing during the short period of data collected: I was moving the canvas and small selected group of items around. The test document only had about 5 shapes. Visually, there is latency in the cursor _after_ releasing the mouse button from moving for about 1-2 seconds. When just moving an object I've noticed is a shorter visual latency of 0.5-1s where it seems to "hop" before smoothing out.

Sean,

Thanks, I disabled G-Sync and it does improve the performance greatly (just by visual inspection). My monitor runs at 100hz. I still notice the ~0.5s latency of the object I'm moving "hopping" when initially moving, however the perf lag afterwards is gone w/ G-Sync disabled. The "hopping" behavior is minimal and only slightly distracting, I only mention it in case the devs want to optimize it.

• Staff

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that has improved the behaviour for you. We've seen similar problems from a couple of other users, but frustratingly I don't currently have access to a G-Sync monitor myself to investigate.

Same problem here.
Very bad performanc especially while painting using large raster brushes in pixel persona. There is  a very big lag with each brush stroke. 

Can submit screen recording. 

My Laptop is Dell XPS 9560 4k
Intel Core i7 7700HQ
GeForce 1050 / Intel HD Graphics 630
16gb ram
All drivers are up to date.