You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Improvement to Pattern Layers (Photo 1.9.1)

I love the new Pattern Layers but I have a few requests:

1. Please re-design the Pattern Layers in such a way that one can drag vector and pixel layer art into the Pattern Layers as scalable and re-positionable child layers. That would offer a quicker and more intuitive way to build patterns.
  2. Make it possible to export the finished pattern tile as a separate file/asset.
  3. Bring Pattern Layers to Designer.

Thanks for your consideration.

These are three separate requests and should have been three separate threads, with #3 in the Designer forum (except that it is already there...)

#1 came up in the betas.  I am hoping the reason you can't add child layers to the pattern layers right now is to avoid compatibility issues if they add this later as it does seem that they were considering this.

#2 - you can already add a pattern layer to assets as you would any other layer, and for saving it you can simply select it, Edit/Copy, File/New From Clipboard, and save - that is already a reasonably small number of steps for what I suspect is an infrequent activity?

#3 - I am crossing my fingers that "real" vector patterns are in the works (or are at least intended to be provided for) and that the pattern layers were omitted from Designer in favor of providing a more general solution there instead.  This would be a stop-gap solution in Designer and Serif may have determined that providing it there would be a misfeature from that perspective...

@fde101 I just discovered the "Open as New Document" button in the contextual toolbar, which will open up one's pattern tile as a new document that can be named and saved as a reusable asset.

So, they already covered my second request, but I overlooked the feature and it was not described in the tutorial video.

My first and third requests remain.

• 1 month later...

2. Make it possible to export the finished pattern tile as a separate file/asset.

It already is possible to save a finished pattern as an asset. Make sure you have your pattern layer selected then  In the upper right of the assets panel click the menu button and select add from selection and that's it.  you can then reuse your patterns over and over by simply dragging them out from the assets panel.