You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AffinityDesigner antialiasing fails on iPad

When I export any vector+rastered illustration with same dimensions that project, the borders are pixelated, It not happens with the only vectors illustrations. Please help me, The iPad is my main device, and Affinity Designer my Main program, I’m in trouble. !

P.D: I’m using the last version of AffinityDesigner, and my iPad is the 2020 11” Ipad Pro

50AD9184-8A76-41BD-9A01-B6AC7B79EB7E.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Bradly said:

When I export any vector+rastered illustration with same dimensions that project, the borders are pixelated,

What format are you Exporting to? Try one that supports vectors eg PDF and see if the result improves. See vector circle filled with raster colour one export png one is PDF (same file). PDF maintains vector shape.

9EFCA52B-E00B-4B38-8AF3-18CC38675FDD.jpeg

AFB934BE-E6E0-49A9-80DC-5DC68F2C776D.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

12 hours ago, DM1 said:

What format are you Exporting to? Try one that supports vectors eg PDF and see if the result improves. See vector circle filled with raster colour one export png one is PDF (same file). PDF maintains vector shape.

9EFCA52B-E00B-4B38-8AF3-18CC38675FDD.jpeg

AFB934BE-E6E0-49A9-80DC-5DC68F2C776D.png

Thanks for reply, But, I can see that your png file has a 498% zoom, At that number it is normal the pixelated borders, but my PNG images shows pixelated borders at 100% zoom, when export the same file on designer for windows, the image is perfect smooth, I think that the problem is on iPad Export Settings, but don’t know what to do there

Forgive the silly questions, but I’m trying to eliminate the obvious.

When you exported it from the Windows version, what was the pixel by pixel dimensions of the png?

I assume you’ve checked the version exported from the iPad is the same pixel by pixel dimensions?

And to follow-up on @Bradly’s post. Why are you exporting to png out of interest? Why is pdf not allowed here? Pdf is the more usual file format for print graphics.. which the size of what you’ve posted here suggests it’s for.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

• 2 weeks later...

@ProDesignerthanks for the time, I checked that PC had the same export settings than iPad, I'm working on 1080 x 1350px the right one for instagram, because my client make a lot of social network marketing... Until now I'm duplicating dimensions to avoid the pixelated borders, but that isn't the better solution... And the point is that PC exports correctly at the same settings. 😭

So the two important things are: Physical size and resolution (Forgive me, if this comes across as a bit off-key. I'm trying to be really clear, so you can be confident you don't need to worry, and your image is fine).

We're discussing two very different views of the same image:

1. Your image posted here (very top) = physical size: just over 8" x 10" (roughly measured on my laptop screen).
    So at 1080 x 1350px it's presenting a 135 dpi image.That's...
    >> LOW resolution. You will see pixellation

2. Instagram's call out = physical size 3.5" x 4.5".
    That means Instagram is presenting the 1080 x 1350px starting from 300dpi.
    >> HIGH resolution.

So the image you've posted above, therefore, will appear perfectly smooth on Instagram.

>>>> Shrink the browser window width down to roughly 3.5" and you'll see it in action.

(dpi? "Dot per inch" and it is important for screen as well as print).

- - - - - - - - - -

If the pixel by pixel count is the same + your export settings are exactly the same (ie sampling + compression method) on both iPad and PC. Then there's only one conclusion....

....you're making judgements based on two very different ways of viewing the image (as I've just explained above)....

... except it's not Instagram vs Affinity forum....
....it's iPad screen vs PC screen + iPad image viewing app vs PC image viewing app  + size of window vs size of window..... that's a lot of moving parts!

On 3/3/2021 at 1:35 PM, Bradly said:

...but my PNG images shows pixelated borders at 100% zoom...

"100%" is a highly subjective thing in digital images. In fact, there's no such thing as 100% .....you always have to state "..at 300dpi", for example.

Hope this resolves it for you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.