You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TIF file does not open properly in Affinity Photo

I have encountered a problem opening a TIF file in Affinity Photo 1.9 and 1.9.1.

I am using Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 on my MacBook Pro.

The camera used was the Canon EOS-1D (which is supported by Affinity Photo).

The original Canon 4.8 mb TIF file opens with the following dimensions 288 px x 192 px @ 72 dpi in the Photo Persona mode (it does not even try to open in the Develop Persona).

When I open the same Canon 4.8 mb TIF file in Adobe Photoshop CS6 it opens properly using Adobe Camera Raw 8.3 to process the raw 4.8 mb file.

The dimensions after processing in Adobe Photoshop CS6 are 2464 px x 1648 px @ 300 dpi.

If I save the original processed TIF file in Adobe Photoshop CS6 as a new TIF file copy and then open that in Affinity Photo it will open with the same dimensions as Adobe Photoshop

I have attached screenshots to show what is occurring in Affinity Photo 1.9.1 and Adobe Photoshop CS6.

Please advise as to how this can be rectified (I am new to Affinity Photo).

Thank you very much for any help.

Screen Shot #1.png

Screen shot #2.png

Screen shot #3.png

Screen Shot #4.png

Screen shot #5.png

• 5 weeks later...

Hello MEB

TIF file does not open properly in Affinity Photo

I am experiencing the exact same problem as described above using the latest version of Affinity Photo 1.9.2.

Perhaps a fix for this problem was not included in the latest update.

Thank you in advance for your help with this problem.

David

• Staff

Hi @David Walberg,
Sorry the delay getting back to you.
The launch of the 90 day free trial offer, along with the (still current) 50% off sale and the recent 1.9, 1.9.1 and1.9.2 releases has increased the support ticked/requests considerably and we are still going thought them. Regarding this issue specifically, it was indeed checked/reviewed already but unfortunately due to technical issues we had to prevent this particular extension from being loaded in the Develop Persona. If you rename the file to .CR2 and switch the Affinity Photo RAW engine to Apple Core Image RAW (go to menu View > Assistant Manager, Raw Engine dropdown on top - note you need to reload the RAW image after starching engines for the new setting take effect) it should load the image correctly. Note however that all metadata will be lost unfortunately.

Another option is to use Adobe DNG Converter to convert the TIF file into a DNG which Affinity Photo can open (both Serif and Apple RAW engines) keeping the metadata.

MEB

Thank you for the response to my latest post about the TIF files.

After following your instructions I was able to successfully open the TIF file.

As much as I would like to have the metadata retained, being able to open the TIF files from the old Canon EOS-1D camera in Affinity Photo is very important to me since switching to Affinity Photo from Adobe Photoshop.

I have not been successful in using the Adobe DNG Converter to change the TIF file into a DNG file.

I certainly appreciate your time and consideration to help rectify this issue.

David