You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Footnotes lost and styles corrupted on import from Word

When importing text containg footnotes from MS Word 2010 via clipboard, the footnotes are lost and paragraph styles in document get messed up.

• Windows 10 Pro, 20H2
  • Publisher 1.9
  • MS Word 2010
  • Reproducible

To reproduce:

1. Create document in MS Word containg some footnotes.
  2. Create blank document in Publisher with a text frame.
  3. In Word <ctrl>+A to select all text
  4. In Publishet <Ctrl>V to paste text.
  5. Note that footnotes are missing and some of the paragraphs have been formatted as 'footnote text'.
  6. I would expect the footnotes to be imported along with their styles.

ImportTestFromPublisher.afpub Import test for Publisher.docx

• 1 month later...

Hello

Is there any progress on this?  I have written an academic book and have just started setting it up in Affinity Publisher for printing.  It has a substantial number of footnotes.  Is this feature now supported?  If not, can you recommend a workaround?

Trevor

2 hours ago, Trevor A said:

s there any progress on this?  I have written an academic book and have just started setting it up in Affinity Publisher for printing.  It has a substantial number of footnotes.  Is this feature now supported? 

Publisher does not yet support footnotes.

You can find suggestions elsewhere in the forum for handling them manually. For example:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Done it (what a chore!).

I found the following links and comments helpful while doing this:

Footnotes

If you make room for footnotes using a master-based template (as in my example files), you can adjust the frame sizes per page basis by "detach editing" (= right clicking the master layer from within a page in question and choosing "Edit detached" from the context menu)

Accessed 25.4.21.

About superscripts and subscripts

Affinity Publisher will always use superscript and subscript glyphs from the font if the glyphs are available. if these are not available, you can adopt faux superscripts and subscripts instead that scale and reposition the original glyphs.

To use font-derived superscripts and subscripts:

1.     From the Text menu, select Show Typography.

2.     Enable one of the options in the Figure Position section.

To use faux superscripts and subscripts:

• From the Character panel, choose a superscript or subscript option in the Positioning and Transform section.

Avoid using both typographic and faux settings simultaneously.

SEE ALSO:

https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Text/superscriptsSubscripts.html?title=Using typographic superscripts and subscripts

Accessed 25.4.21.

Draw a straight line

On 3/30/2019 at 12:18 PM, haakoo said:

pen tool>place the pointer>hold shift>place new point>straight line

Yes, plus the pen tool actually has several modes that can be switched among on the context toolbar, including one for producing straight lines, and one for arbitrary polygons.

Accessed 25.4.21.

When Affinity Publisher does eventually include footnote support, it will save hours of unnecessary work, avoid the risk of errors creeping in with manual copying of the original footnotes, one at a time, and improve the layout by eliminating the slight variations that can appear when such things are done manually on each page.

Thank you for the encouragement and the pointers this morning.

Trevor

Walt
I have one outstanding problem with the text that I imported to Affinity Publisher yesterday, and I can't see how to fix it.  After adding the footnotes, I drew a short line above the footnotes on each page, to separate them from the main text.  On the first text page I then had to add an additional footnote, so I moved the bottom boundary of the main text box up, no problem.  I then moved the top boundary of the footnote text box up, again, no problem.

But I was not able to move or delete the the short line above the footnotes, which now is a line through some of the text of the second footnote.

I have researched this and tried all sorts of options, but the line appears to be locked and Publisher does not allow me to untick the layer, cut it, change its colour (to white, was my idea!) or move it to the trash.

I wonder if you could look at it for me.  If so, I will attach the file to my reply.

Thank you!

Trevor