You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't edit Text once created? (split)

OMFG!!! Just switching over from Photoshop, and I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate working with text. I can't edit my text once I've created it — not with any tool. WTF?!!! And in the layers I have groups with all the letters? Who thought this shit up?

9 minutes ago, RealMrD said:

Who thought this shit up?

Sweet. Read through the help files, watch the videos. I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate reading text like yours. :(Seems to be, that you converted text to curves, so what do you expect?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

9 minutes ago, RealMrD said:

OMFG!!! Just switching over from Photoshop, and I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate working with text. I can't edit my text once I've created it — not with any tool. WTF?!!! And in the layers I have groups with all the letters? Who thought this shit up?

Is it possible that you are trying to use the Artistic Text Tool to write and edit text?  If so, naturally you will find groups of letters in the layers panel.  Do try the Frame Text Tool before you give up.  You will notice a completely different appearance in the Layers panel and you will most definitely be able to edit your text.   Affinity isn't Photoshop.   For that matter, Photoshop isn't Affinity.  Discovering new methods does take a little time, but if you will have a little patience and do some experimenting I am sure you will learn very quickly.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

22 minutes ago, RealMrD said:

I can't edit my text once I've created it ...

If you mean text you have created in AP (or AD) first make sure you have not accidentally rasterized it. There is a default keyboard shortcut that does that, I think involving using the Return key with a modifier (the CMD key on Macs?), so some new to Affinity think they need to "finalize" text input using that shortcut, which instead converts text objects to a pixel image.

If that is not what you mean, if you upload a simple AP document with an example of your uneditable text to this topic, someone may be able to tell you what's preventing you from doing that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7