You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document size and artboards

Hi everyone!
I have been using Affinity Designer quite recently. But at the very beginning, I had problems that I still cannot solve. Can someone tell me how this can be done.

First question: After I have created the document, I cannot resize it normally. That is, I do not know the exact values of the width and height, I would like to just pull the edges of the canvas and select the optimal size. But I cannot find how to do it.
When you select the "Resize" item in the menu, you need to know the specific values for the length and width to adjust, but I do not know them. It would be convenient if the canvas at least changes when you change the parameters, but this does not happen. Is there a solution to this problem?

Second question: I found that you can convert canvas to artboards and then you can resize them when you drag on the edges. BUT. The background behind the artboards turns an awful bright gray. This is very distracting. Can this be changed?

Thank you for your responses!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Xathepset. :)

Converting the canvas to an artboard (either via the option offered on creation, or subsequently via the ‘Artboards’ command) is the easiest way. If you don’t want a white artboard you can apply any fill you like via the Colour Studio.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Добро пожаловать на форумы Serif Affinity, @Xathepset. :)

Преобразование холста в монтажную область (либо с помощью параметра, предлагаемого при создании, либо впоследствии с помощью команды «Монтажные области») - самый простой способ. Если вам не нужен белый артборд, вы можете применить любую заливку с помощью Color Studio.

Thank you very much for your response. I don't mean the color of the artboard. And the background color behind the artboard. I don't understand how to change it. Could you tell me if you know how to do this.

5 minutes ago, Xathepset said:

I don't mean the color of the artboard. [I mean] the background color behind the artboard.

My apologies, I read your post too quickly! I don’t think we can change the colour of the background. :(

Alfred spacer.png

So does the preferences setting under Interface > Background Grey Level not apply when using artboards @Alfred

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you're asking for @Xathepset .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

5 minutes ago, ProDesigner said:

So does the preferences setting under Interface > Background Grey Level not apply when using artboards @Alfred?

Yes, it should! We got diverted onto the question of applying a colour, so I overlooked the fact that @Xathepset originally asked only about changing the brightness of the grey.

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 years later...

Hello! When you add additional artboards to your document, the background changes to a creepy light gray color that is very distracting. After much torment, I found how to change this inconvenient background setting. Perhaps the author of the question is no longer relevant, but it will be useful for someone else. You go to the initial area of the program (Setting) --> (User interface) --> (Artboard Background Gray Level). And in this setting you change the % to lower small values, then the background color will become darker.

Edited by Yuliia