You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: Access to document file lost: <Embedded>

When editing an embedded Affinity Designer file, seemingly at random I get this warning. Trying to save the main file after this results in Failed to save document: Save failed because the file could not be written to. This corrupts the file on disk making in unreadable. 

I have discovered that deleting the embedded file does allow me to save again. But then all work on the embedded file is lost. Export doesn't give the option to export as afdesigner file. 

This is on Designer 1.9.1. I didn't run into this issue on 1.9.0. I'm just working locally with the file. On MacOS 10.15.7. 2019 Macbook Pro.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 7.57.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 7.58.01 PM.png

• Staff

Hi treegemmer,

I've just been trying this on my machine with some embedded files, but not seeing this at all? I know you've said seemingly at random, but I presume there isn't anything you've noted that you were doing prior to this cropping up? Does this error appear when you're editing the actual embedded file, or does it happen when you close the embedded file, or does it happen when you have the embedded file open in a tab, but are editing the main document?

Would it be possible for you to attach one of the documents this keeps happening with using the link below please?
https://www.dropbox.com/request/5DCzR12HldP1t24ThqF2

Hi Sean,

The error appears when I have the embedded file open in a tab, and return to the main document. I uploaded the file: BblLevelsiPad_09_AD.afdesign.

I realized recently the reason this file is so large is that when Designer opened the source .psd each Smart Object instance was converted to an individual embedded file. I've since deleted all the copies to make the file more workable. I haven't seen the issue today on the smaller, cleaned up document, so I suspect the issue is related to the large document size.