You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Two page Indesign spreads import as a single page

I'm not a design professional, but years ago I learned enough InDesign to lay out my novels for print. Recently, I'd like to update these novels, but can't justify subscribing. So Affinity Publisher, now that it will do large books seemed idea. I managed to convert the old InDesign indd files to indb, which loads into Publisher. Headers, page number placement all looked good.  THE PROBLEM. The two-page spreads imported as single pages. I've been messing with Document and Spread Setup to no avail.  Is there an easy fix for this problem? I really don't relish flowing a few million words into new templates.

Any help appreciated. (Remember, I'm a newbie.)

Robert B.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 2.52.57 PM.png

Hi @Robert B. and welcome!

Have you tried creating a new master page set , portrait orientation to the size of one of your original single pages, with facing pages? Something like this:

2139322277_Screenshot2021-03-02at07_57_14.png.c14d3a9967ae761167c8ec253fd585e7.png         905486581_Screenshot2021-03-02at07_57_30.thumb.png.0cfeadc37b4d6b9bb105731d5e15bd7c.png

Then apply this master to your existing pages.

Not entirely sure what will be the result for left and right folios so maybe try it on a backup first.

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to work. I can even delete the master pages that were imported, and all it affects are the headers and number box placements. I've tried resizing spread size (File  spread setup) but the pages dropdown remains grayed-out. I'm in the U.S. and still think in inches -- sorry, have done so all my life -- and the standard trade paperback page size is  6x9 inches As each spread is treated as one page, when I to this resize, I get what you see in the image file. The text boxes remain linked to the resized spread. 

Actually, design for novels isn't that complicated. The biggest issue is getting the inside gutter spacing correct. I wouldn't mind just starting afresh in Publisher. One problem. The latest edits are in the InDesign files. If I could just export the text files from the imported file, I would be saved several levels of copyediting. However, I can't seem to do that either. Export seems to only allow me image file formats.  Alternately, is there shortcut to select all the text. If there is, I could copy that into a word file, and start a new Publisher design. I'm thinking this would be easier than figuring out the import issues.

Thanks again for your help.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 11.30.05 AM.png

5 minutes ago, Robert B. said:

If I could just export the text files from the imported file, I

Copy and paste into a text file via what ever text editing or word-processing application you have.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:46 PM, Robert B. said:

The two-page spreads imported as single pages.

Your InDesign document must be set up as facing pages for Publisher to import them as individual pages.
Sadly, Publisher cannot read or even create multi-page spreads yet. (A really, really BIG bummer, and then some!) That's why it interprets your spreads as a single page.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2