You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Vanjan,

Could you please attach your picture to this thread? So that I can advise on which the best tool to use would be. Could you also please try what I have suggested in this thread :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I am following your instructions but if I use the in-painting tool I seem to have to paint over it loads of times to get rid of the curtains and when I tried selecting and then pressing delete it just left dots where the curtains were.

I really am so new to this - its taking me ages! 

Also, if I brighten the picture or darken it, then the in-painting tool doesn't seem to work anymore. 

So sorry to be such a pain.

Hi Vanjan!

I would suggest the inpainting tool for this, it may take a few attempts to remove the curtains entirely but this should do the job.

If the inpainting tool is not working after applying an adjustment or effect, this is because you are now working on a different layer. If you reselect the background layer you should be able to use the tool again :)

If this does not help at all, please attach the image you are working with so I can take a closer look. 

Jack

OK - thanks for that. 

I am selecting the piece I want to remove and using in-painting brush to remove it but it keeps painting it lighter and lighter and when I think I'm nearly there it just mirrors an image below it. It can't be right that I have spent 2 hours trying to remove a curtain!! I consider myself to be a fairly bright person but I am losing the will to live right now!!

Its not my photo - I am trying to do something for a friend - so I don't feel I can share it with Dropbox. Incidentally I took the photo with an Apple iPhone 6S. Is this the problem?

• Staff

No, the device/camera used to take the photo is irrelevant here. If i understood you correctly you're saying that you have selected the object you want to remove before applying the Inpainting brush... What do you mean? Are you creating a pixel selection around the object?

There's no need to select the object first. Just paint with the Inpainting brush over the object you want to remove. Make sure you have the correct layer selected and that's identified as a (Pixel) layer in the Layers panel. If it's idetified as an (Image) layer, right click on it (in the Layers panel) and select Rasterise... then try the Inpainting Tool again.

Without seeing the image it's a little difficult to guess what's going on.