You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saved Photo has a white line on it

There seems to be an issue when I save photos/images. A white line appears somewhere on the photo, in a different place each time and it occurs when I save to either PNG of JPG. Attached is an example of what I mean. I did nothing to this photo other than crop it's size a little.

I tried saving at 100% quality and 85% and it happened both times. I went to File >> Export >> PNG (or JPG)

It happens each time I save an image or photo.

And here are my details:

A Photo Vers:  1.9.1
Windows 10
Chrome browser:  Version 88.0.4324.190

Mouse house.jpg

Hi @PlayfulPixel Welcome to the Affinity forums! Sorry to hear you have experienced this issue with export. Thanks for all of the info. Does this mean it does not happen when you export to PDF?

Would you be able to upload the original image for me here so I can have a go at cropping and exporting please? 

• Did you do the following steps? - Open > Crop > Export - or something else? 👍

I don't know if this is relevant, but when this happened to me, I took a photo with my cell phone and emailed it to myself, then opened it in Affinity Photo on my laptop. I exported it as a PNG and the lines appeared. I did it again, but this time I saved it as a .jpg and this time there were no lines. Hope this helps.

Hi SpaceBar - I've uploaded the original photo to your DropBox link.

And yes, the process was Open >> Crop >> Export.
I did change the size of the image and took the quality to 80% as I wanted a smaller size.

I have saved as PDF and all looks OK.

I did save several images yesterday and most of them had a line. Sometimes when I zoomed in on the saved image the line disappeared but appeared again when the size reverted to its original.

@RT-One - that may well be the case but I don't want to have to do that each time I save an image and sometimes I don't want a JPG. But thanks for the input.

re: "Saved Photo has a white line on it"

The first time this occurred was today after I upgraded to 1.9.1.979 earlier today (3/02/2021).

White lines appear in images I edit.  I resized an image and this occurred. Also it occurred after I flipped an image.  My images are .jpgs.

The lines appear in different locations each time it occurs.

I don't recall this occurring with any previous versions.

Additional detail, this seems to only occur when exporting the file to a non-native (i.e. not .afphoto file type).

TY,  VisionExpander

3_RioSierra_01_362_2009-08_B-30_C+60_Left-180_left_144dpi.jpg

Edited by VisionExpander
added a detail

SPaceBar,
1)  Thank you for the prompt response.  
2)  with OpenCL acceleration off the image is exported w/o the lines.
3)  the issue appears to be related to the last software version, as I am running an older version on a different pc and the issues does NOT occur when I took the same actions as what created the behavior I reported.

TY,  VisionExpander

• 3 months later...

As this is a Windows section of the forums the answers were given for Windows users.
The Preferences in the Mac version of the software are elsewhere, probably under menu “<app name> → Preferences”.
Note: The information in this thread is for some Windows users and may not be applicable to any Mac users.

@Cokeman you are on macOS/iOS. OpenCL is on Windows systems. You have to untick Enable Metal compute acceleration.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Having same problem - started suddenly about 2 weeks ago. Had not updated.

Have updated now to 1.10.5.1342 - same problem.

OpenCL acceleration seems to work. Does not fix the faulty image used in important post on social media tho....please fix this bug.

Hi @na05

Please update your GPU drivers. If this does'nt helps deactivate the hardware acceleration.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!