You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm coming from Corel where we have a huge number of color palettes especially CMYK colors. So when I click in a print design on the black color I get the 0/0/0/100 color and the full red color is 0/100/100/0.
In Affinity programs I don't have such pallets, only a few ugly HSL colors (without clear gray tones, see attached file). But I din't knew that. So now I have had layouted 40 pages and all the black and gray colors are like 84/84/78/99 (see attached file).

Is there a way to work with "pure" CMYK, where a yellow is a pure yellow for example?

And why works Affinity like this, even when I use CMYK in the "create new template"?

SharedScreenshot.jpg

SharedScreenshot2.jpg

Unbenannt-2.jpg

You can set up your CMYK palettes as you like. Create a CMYK document, thren create a new palette name it and add CMYk colours to it. If you want to re-use this palette, make it a default palette for CMYK. If you look a the small hamburger menu of the Swatches palette there are some options hidden behind.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Also, for CMYK gray and black, from your screenshot:

image.png.45cb2615f671b7a06d9769f479734d92.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you, Joachim and Walt,

so the answer to my question "Is there a way to work with "pure" CMYK?" is more a "no", all colors are HLS. Of cause I can build palettes, but to build palettes with HUNDREDS of colors is a little bit ... laborious 😞
BTW: In the picture you see a small (!) part of palettes which come with Corel. Each palette folder have dozens/hundrets of colors!

SharedScreenshot3.jpg

Just started with a simple white in cmyk and after changing it from RGB to cmyk (see picture) it is still RGB in the palette 😞
The simplest things are very, very complicated.
I begin to hate Affinity software ..

Unbenannt-1.jpg

25 minutes ago, uli123 said:

And what is this: The values next to the cmyk sliders are different to the other values ... ARRRRHHHHHH

SharedScreenshot4.jpg

This is a usability issue - one of many - in Affinity. Inconsistent layouts or/and missing feedback. Sliders above (47) shows 8-bit values - fields below (18) percentage.

In the color panel you can select 8-bit or percent as a display unit - if you know where to look that is.  Some labels or tool tips would help at least. 

image.png.37976d7266093cab9fefdf3b94943a9e.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

10 minutes ago, uli123 said:

Ok, got it. It was in Percentage

But in my case the sliders remain in 8-bit values.

image.png.0871015f67974e2ae27dae10c7739b22.png

Try to keep it in percentage and see what happens. My color chooser suddenly changed to percentage as well after I changed the unit to percent. But not immediately.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

5 hours ago, uli123 said:

Mmm, not mine 😞

But thanks!

Still? Now both dialogs are showing CMYK values in percent on this machine and 8-bit if I select that. Instantly (have to hide and show the dialog without the option first of course).

16 hours ago, Jowday said:

This is a usability issue - one of many - in Affinity. Inconsistent layouts or/and missing feedback.

But shhh don’t mention/criticise anything about UX/UI on  here.... you’ll get the “windmills don’t work that way” defence!

For me the UX/UI is really letting the software down. It’s a quality issue - details matter. I wish they’d prioritise the UX and bug fixing before releasing new functionality.