You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to change background colour and colour of pencil drawing

Hi all!

For a bit of context before I ask this, I am an illustrator and use graphite pencil, so everything I do is black and white. I would like to take my black and white pencil illustrations and select the whole of the pencil markings and change the colour of them to anything I want. I would also like to change the background/underlay colour from white to any other colour.

I'm sure this is actually very simple but I can't figure it out. Something to do with layers... 

Also, I don't want to go around and select my drawing, I want the whole of the drawing (where any white shows through) to be changed to the background colour. 

I've attached one of my drawings as an example. E.g how would I make the background light pink and the drawing red? I've also attached an example of what I mean from another artist. 

Hope someone can help! It would revolutionize my work if I knew how to do these two simple changes. Please let me know the idiot proof step by step if you know. 

Many thanks

Bethanie

Cocktail.png

Example.png

Assuming you mean in Affinity Photo, here's one way.

Add a Channel Mixer  Adjustment, choose the Green output channel and adjust the green slider until you get a pink background:

1772943248_Screenshot2021-03-01at12_35_40.thumb.png.77bb500e1363c62cd1cf420c3101f7ce.png

Now add a Recolour Adjustment. Your background will change colour temporarily, but drag the Recolour Adjustment below the Channel Mixer Adjustment in the Layers panel and all should be well:

You can now use the sliders in the Recolour Adjustment to set the colour, saturation and lightness of your illustration:

I expect there are other ways too..

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Theres a few ways to do this, although my favourite would be to use blend ranges to knock the white off to transparent on the image then use the the image as a mask which gives you loads os flexibility for altering colours on the fly:

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I played around with it for ages last night, doing different colours using the channel mixer adjustment and the recolour adjustment layers; but I find that I can't actually get the range of colours I want, I'll attach the images later to show you what I mean. What do you think is the simplest way of changing a selected part of the drawing but getting any colour you want? I thought there was a tool with the whole colour spectrum...

Many thanks

B

1 hour ago, bethanie said:

Geez that looks complicated!! Thank you so much for the video, maybe if I do it a tiny bit at a time I will grasp it. 

Once you've had a mess around with it, it's not at all complicated and also opens up loads of other options - for instance colouring different elements within the drawing:

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Hello! I'm sorry I don't get how to do a rectangle for the base background colour...

I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like when I load the image initially and am ready to start. What's the first step? Still not sure how to use the full spectrum of colours. 

Below are what I came up with yesterday by messing around with the channel mixer and recolour layers, but still - limited range of colours, all fairly garish.

Many thanks

B

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 2.23.46 PM.png

Crocodile water.jpg

Cocktail 2.jpg

Veg 1.jpg

Satsumas .jpg

Veg 1.jpg

Woman with cigar.jpg

Cocktail 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think these look great 👍

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk