You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. Until the update 1.9 I was able to export SVGs from Affinity Designer to Cricut Design Space at actual size - meaning if I design something that is 30x30cm, it opens in CDS at the same size. DPI needed to be set to 72 to achieve this.

Since 1.9, the resulting SVG now opens in CDS a lot larger than the size it was created at. Fine for me, but not for my customers who buy the SVG.

The 1.9.1 release does not fix this.

Any reason why this is now happening, and is there a work around?
Thanks.

OK...not the response I was hoping for!

Anyone know how I can escalate this to get it fixed...? I'm a member of Affinity Designer for Crafters forum and many people are suffering from this issue. It's actually holding up my business.

Thanks

• Staff

@Ducati

Sorry for the delay in replying. This is not something I have seen reported in 1.9 and I cannot see it in the database

It would be helpful if you provided an Affinity Designer file, told us which area or artboard you are exporting, and provided an SVG made with 1.9.1 that is not working with your Cricut,

Can you confirm if you are using the 'Use document resolution' on the export dialog

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Patrick! Thanks for responding!

Many crafters seem to have issues between AD & Cricut. I had found that setting DPI to 72 and exporting (Selection without Background) without Viewbox means that the resulting SVG is the same size when uploaded to Cricut. Until recently. I cannot 100% say when the change occurred. An SVG I made on 20 Feb was fine. One I made on 28 Feb - and all since - had this issue.

It is worth also noting the Cricut has had 2 updates in the last month, so it may be that something they changed just doesn't like something in Designer.

Attached is one of my problem files. I made it on a 12x12" canvas in Designer Persona - the image itself is 12"x5.44". Settings as above (screen shot attached). After saving the file, I export as described above. If I open the resulting SVG (also attached) in Inkspace, it says the image file is now 9" (screen shot attached). When I open it in Cricut (screen shot attached), it says the image is 26".

On the Facebook Group I belong to, the moderator had posted a workaround for Windows users (I'm on Mac). This involves opening the SVG in Notepad (it opens with text/metadata) changing the sizing manually there and resaving the file. Not ideal, but seemed to work for Windows users. She posted a PDF which I would be happy to send to you, but don't want to attach it here as she put a copyright on it.

Would appreciate your feedback! Here for any other info you need.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 15.57.22.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 15.57.43.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 16.06.40.png

DC021_NoYouNoMe SVG.afdesign

C021_NoYouNoMe SVG.svg

• Staff

Ducati,

We have found in the past that getting Cricut to understand our SVG dimensions and scale can be troublesome (their software was not recognising real SVG elements) We wrote this FAQ. While we look at the files you provided (thank you by the way) you could check that you are following our advice about the most reliable method we know, in case a default setting has changed and by following this advice you can get going again using 1.9.1 for now

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

28 minutes ago, Ducati said:

On the Facebook Group I belong to, the moderator had posted a workaround for Windows users (I'm on Mac). This involves opening the SVG in Notepad (it opens with text/metadata) changing the sizing manually there and resaving the file. Not ideal, but seemed to work for Windows users.

That works on Macs too and it's nothing Windows specific, just open a SVG file inside some text editor (like TextEdit.app which comes bundled with all MacOS versions) edit the corresponding width and height boundingbox entries, save the editited SVG file and preview it with/in your favorite webbrowser. - Note that SVG files are just plain common text files, with textual XML based syntax entries inside, so you can create and edit them with whatever text editor you have around there.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Ducati,

We have found in the past that getting Cricut to understand our SVG dimensions and scale can be troublesome (their software was not recognising real SVG elements) We wrote this FAQ. While we look at the files you provided (thank you by the way) you could check that you are following our advice about the most reliable method we know, in case a default setting has changed and by following this advice you can get going again using 1.9.1 for now

Thanks Patrick. Yes, I saw this a while back when I was just starting out.

• 2 years later...

Hello. I’m using AD2 to create SVG’s. I’ve tried following all of the instructions above ie, dpi 72, uncheck set viewbox. However my SVG’s are still appearing in Cricut Design space at more the double the original size. I created my document at 12” x 12”. The actual art work is 9.625” x 6.663“. The artwork is opening up in Cricut Design Space at 40,11” x 27,76”. I have tried creating designs with and without art boards to test if that affected the outcome and got the same results. I would greatly appreciate some assistance with this issue.

IMG_5040.png

IMG_5041.png

IMG_5042.png

• Staff
On 9/12/2023 at 6:19 AM, Zaa said:

Hello. I’m using AD2 to create SVG’s. I’ve tried following all of the instructions above ie, dpi 72, uncheck set viewbox. However my SVG’s are still appearing in Cricut Design space at more the double the original size. I created my document at 12” x 12”. The actual art work is 9.625” x 6.663“. The artwork is opening up in Cricut Design Space at 40,11” x 27,76”. I have tried creating designs with and without art boards to test if that affected the outcome and got the same results. I would greatly appreciate some assistance with this issue.

Looks like you've solved your own issue here: 

Only posting for reference.