You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Loading Time for PDF files

I am having to wait at least 15-20 seconds for a PDF to open in 1.9.1. Is there a reason which this is happening? This was never an issue before in 1.8.5.

I should add that the files are from an ISO of a CD-ROM which I mount and simply open them as normal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Sam Neil,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

This is most likely a consequence of introducing PDF Passthrough. By default, when you place a PDF, it will be set to Passthrough rather than interpret(old method). Passthrough will generate a bitmap, which depending on the size/content of the pdf, will take longer than the old method. If you attach a few sample pdfs, I can have a look :) 

16 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I can't see any difference between 1.8 and 1.9. If anything, 1.9 was 1-2 seconds faster. 

Well the only difference with what you have and how I have it is, these PDFs were on a CD-ROM which have been made into an ISO and I load it and call it from the loaded ISO. I am not sure if that makes any difference.

Copy the file to the HDD/SSD and see if the loading time changes. 😏

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Drive emulation can be a speed factor. So just copy the PDF to the HDD/SSD and start a time comparison.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!