You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello. Does anyone know how to duplicate layers but the "proper" way? Now if I select 3 layers and duplicate it, it will give me a mess, as every layer is duplicated on top of the other one, mixing the base layers with the new ones instead of duplicating on TOP of the 3 base layers... Is there a setting for this?

To be more clear, if i have base 1, base 2, base 3 layers, after duplicate I will get base 1, copy base 1, base 2, copy base 2, instead of the others duplicated on top..

Group the layers first, duplicate the group and then (optionally) ungroup either or both of the two groups.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

One method is to use Copy / Paste to get the layers duplicated as you want them.
Or you can Group the layers and then Duplicate (then Ungrouping if necessary).
Or you can Duplicate, then immediately Group, then drag the group above the originals in the Layers Panel, and then Ungroup.
Or you can Duplicate and then use Move to Front.
There may be other – more sophisticated – methods.

If I duplicate 1, 2, 3, then 1,1,2,2,3,3 and 1,2,3,1,2,3 are equally valid results. AP performs the former but gives you a  way to do the latter. So why is this a workaround as opposed to a solution?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Because sometimes I have some groups already, and want to duplicate them but on top, so I can move them around, but on top of the bottom ones.. layering effect. They are already grouped so I group them again to ungroup them after.. 112233 is not the same as 123 123 what are you talking about... you have to move them around in layers panel afterwards.

For ex I had some artboards that I wanted to duplicate, to make more artboards... I named them 1,2,3,4 I duplicated them down, to have 8, but they were between the layers, so I had to rename them 1, 5, 2, 6, 3, 7 and so on. instead of just renaming top layers, I had to select in between layers. I needed each artboard w different name

That's why it's a workaround.. because other apps duplicate whatever you select ON TOP of what you select. I am used to photoshop and it's doing a great job duplicating and messing up my game here (and corel and so on).

But please tell me how is this mix duplicate more useful than the proper way to duplicate, aka on top..

The Affinity applications give you at least four ways of getting the layers in the order you want in this case – 123, 123 – (see above), and at least one way of getting them in a different order – 1,1 2,2 3,3.
This gives you the flexibility of being able to choose which method gives you the result you want.
If you could only get them in the order 123, 123 then that would give users less functionality so the currently-available options seem reasonable to me.
Did you try Copy/Paste as mentioned above?

P.S. The 1,1 2,2 3,3 order can be very useful if you want to keep similar things together in the stack, rather than having to reorder them manually. For instance, if you are drawing some layers which are large at the back and small at the front, it would be useful if the duplicates are not all plonked on top of the smallest layers, forcing you to have to then move them around the stack again.

There is existing functionality where you can choose whether new layers are placed either below, above or inside existing layers.
Maybe there’s a chance that this could be extended to the duplication of layers too. That doesn’t sound unreasonable to me but I’ve not put a lot of thought into it.

2 hours ago, norbinw said:

But pity I can't set it to do that by default.

It is no problem to suggest the behavior you require (requesting an option in Preferences that will control the grouping / interleaving of duplicate objects).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.