You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo from 10,000 Feet - Free PDF

smadell

I am attaching a free PDF called “Affinity Photo from Ten Thousand Feet.” This is a 41 page book that explains many of the concepts and questions that forum members ask frequently.

Much of the information is based on presentations given to my local photography club. Some of it is based on a series of articles written for the club’s newsletter. Much of the book is newly written material, based on years of working to understand digital photography, how color works, and how Affinity Photo fits into that picture.

Please enjoy the book. All I ask in return is that you look it over and leave a comment.

Affinity_Photo_from_Ten_Thousand_Feet.pdf

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Thank you, @Hilltop I appreciate your comment!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

14 hours ago, smadell said:

Please enjoy the book.

How could we not, Seth? It’s well laid out, well written and very accessible.

I’ve only dipped into it briefly so far, but I can already see that I’ll learn a great deal by reading it more thoroughly. It’s also interesting to glean a little bit about you and your background!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks, @Alfred. I’ve always tried to stay pretty anonymous when it came to the web. But, the book seemed to call for some explanation of who I am, and why I have the audacity to think I could get away with it! I hope you enjoy the book. Let me know what you think when you’re done.

I’ve spotted this halfway through:

Affinity Photo uses a proprietary file format denoted .afphoto. (At present, Serif – the company which owns and sells Affinity Photo – offers two other applications, called Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher. These use proprietary formats denoted as .afdesign and .afpub, respectively.) 

I think it’s worth pointing out that only one file format is used for native Affinity files. The different designations merely serve to indicate the origins of the file in question and to dictate which one of the apps will open it by default.

Alfred spacer.png

Thank you so much @smadell for a really concise explanation!  “Channels” — specifically —  were previously Greek to me.  Just finished reading the whole book. I can see how describing the symptoms definitely helped you with the medical treatments.  You have done a first-rate job of diagnosing here.  I hope “from 10,000 feet” can stay at the top of the Resources forum for a long time.  It should help so many if they find it.🤗

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@Alfred - of course, you're right about that. I will chalk this up to semantics, and hope that it does not cause confusion for anyone.

And, thank you @jmwellborn - Channels was one of the stickiest problems for me as I was learning all of this. I actually wrote a series of 5 articles for my local photo club about image channels (not only for instruction, but to provide myself an opportunity to learn more). Most of the text and the images were taken from those articles. Masks were another difficult thing for me to learn, although masks and channels are really birds of the same feather!

24 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Thank you so much @smadell for a really concise explanation!  “Channels” — specifically —  were previously Greek to me.  Just finished reading the whole book. I can see how describing the symptoms definitely helped you with the medical treatments.  You have done a first-rate job of diagnosing here.  I hope “from 10,000 feet” can stay at the top of the Resources forum for a long time.  It should help so many if they find it.🤗

What she said! thumbup1.gif

Alfred spacer.png

I saw your link and thought that I would have a quick look. I ended up reading the whole lot in one go. I found it very well written and easy to read and understand. Well  done!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thank you, @John Rostron. Even I know it’s a lot to read in one big gulp. I appreciate your thumbs up.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:08 AM, smadell said:

Please enjoy the book. All I ask in return is that you look it over and leave a comment.

An excellent read. Thank you. Your time and effort in producing free resources for others are very much appreciated.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thanks, @v_kyr and @DM1. I enjoyed putting the book together, and I’m glad you liked it.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:31 PM, v_kyr said:

Clear and well written, easy understandable, useful especially for non-IT people.

Right!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@smadell

Just adding my two cents' worth of deeply heartfelt thanks for the work you have so obviously put in to this.  I've only dipped into one or two pages so far, but I am already looking forward to delving further!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Thank you @emmrecs01 (Jeff). Writing it was heartfelt, as well; I sincerely hope you enjoy it. Let me know!

Thank you for your comments, @StudioJason. I appreciate it.

I don't think that I'll be creating an "alternate" version for the iPad, though. The idea of the book was to deal primarily with concepts rather than with the specifics of the interface. I know that there was some UI explanation done, and that it assumed the use of the desktop version; other than a few of the images and an explanation of the menu commands (mostly their location) I don't think that anything significant would be different.

Nevertheless, I'm glad you found the book to be worth reading and worth recommending! Thank you again.

Nice work! Thanks!

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

@edwardsson and @PaoloT - I appreciate your kind words. Thank you for reading the book, and for leaving your feedback.

Nicely done, @smadell, and thanks for the InAffinity reference.

For a future version if you like, I keep a parallel web-based index (and resources) here: http://changingminds.org/disciplines/photography/affinity_photo/affinity_photo.htm

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.