You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placed image colouring

dmstraker

Place an image. Click on colour panel colour or use colour picker tool.

Hue of image is changed to selected value.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Yes, that's the way it's supposed to work, just like a Fill layer or any vector object. And just like them you need to deselect the object before selecting a color.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

52 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, that's the way it's supposed to work, just like a Fill layer or any vector object. And just like them you need to deselect the object before selecting a color.

Maybe... but it seems weird to me. OK for a vector object, but I'm not sure that it should work that way when placing image file, jpg, tiff, or whatever image format. It does not do this when you place a PDF file so it should work the same with image files.

But I've never got this problem as I always open, copy picture and then paste it in my document.

I'm doing some tests, I paste a "rtf" file and a ".txt" file. It also acts like a fill layer, selecting a color changes the text of those files, but I still can edit the text.....  I'm not convinced that it should work that way.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

58 minutes ago, AlainP said:

when placing image file, jpg, tiff, or whatever image format.

Note that Placing those formats (or pasting them) gives you an (Image) layer not a (Pixel) layer. The Fill attribute of a (Pixel) layer is harder to access :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Not a hill to die on, but I'm with AlainP -- weird and likely to cause confusion, even with us dyed-in-the-wool folks.

Edit: ... just tinkering, it seems when you place an image, you can click on colour as above to change hue, but then you can also Convert to Curves, in which the hue change disappears and the original image appears. The image appears in the fill colour box. If you click on a colour now, it fills the image with the solid colour. However, when the fill is the image, you can do things like add it to a swatch and draw shapes with it as the fill.

Curiouser and curiouser. APh sometimes does a fair emulation of a rabbit warren.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

23 minutes ago, dmstraker said:

Curiouser and curiouser. APh sometimes does a fair emulation of a rabbit warren.

I see what you did there! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This "undocumented" so called feature is quite annoying, compounded by the fact that I can't seem to find documentation on the three fill commands from the edit menu. I bumped into this problem some time ago when "placing" an image from stock. It seems from my brief experimentation that the three fill commands do not work on image layers as a result of my investigating this behavior. To say the least the on line help/documentation generally, and in this case specifically, leaves a lot to be desired. As Leonard from Big Bang Theory states "Im the king of the nerds" and I read the documentation ....